International Transfer: How & When to Apply

Admission Requirements

To apply as a transfer student, you must have earned 30 transferable quarter credits (20 semester credits)—excluding English as a Second Language (ESL) courses—with a cumulative (overall) grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.25 when converted to the United States 4.0 grading scale. The transferable credits must have been completed at a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or a college or university recognized as an institution of higher education by the Ministry of Education in the respective country. Most applicants who have completed a year of full-time study at a postsecondary institution have earned at least 30 quarter credits. If you are transferring from a U.S. institution of higher ed you must complete WR 121 or its equivalent with a grade of C- or better.

How to Apply


Submit your application and $50 USD application fee online.

  1. Go to Portland State University's online application system
  2. Click "First time user account creation"
  3. Create a login and password. Please save or write down this information so you can amend or access your application later
  4. Select Intl Undergrad - TRANSFER as your student type from the drop down menu.
  5. Report all community colleges, colleges, and/or universities you have attended since graduation from high school
  6. With your application you must submit a non-refundable $50 application fee; you will be required to pay this via Visa or MasterCard. A $2 processing fee will apply

Apply Now

You may also submit your International Undergraduate Admission Application by mail.


Submit all university transcripts, grades and records from every university, college or community college attended.

U.S. college/university transcripts must be official and mailed directly to PSU by the issuing institution. Foreign college/university transcripts may be uploaded to the website below. PSU can temporarily use unofficial foreign transcripts to review an application and reach an admission decision. If admitted to PSU, official transcripts must be provided. Review PSU’s official records policy.

Portland State University
Office of Undergraduate International Admissions
PO Box 751
Portland, Oregon 97207

Upload & Submit Documents
3 Submit evidence of English language proficiency that meets the university’s minimum requirements if you wish to enter university level coursework upon admission.

Students who are academically eligible for admission will automatically be considered for ESL restricted admission if they do not present evidence of English proficiency that meets Portland State University’s minimum requirements.

  • Review PSU’s Undergraduate English Language Proficiency Requirements.
  • Request official test results to be sent to Portland State University by ETS (TOEFL), PTE, or the British Council (IELTS).
  • If you have earned a transferable associate’s degree within the United States, earned a GPA of 2.5 or above, and have taken 8 credits of college level writing, you may qualify for a waiver of English proficiency requirements. Submit your official transcript in order to determine whether or not you qualify. Your transferable associate’s degree must be posted on your community college transcript.
  • You must submit admission application documents including test scores if you wish to be directly admitted as a transfer student and use a TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE test score to establish proficiency.
Upload & Submit Documents


    Fill out the Financial Certification and Immigration Information Form and mail or submit online to PSU.

    Portland State University
    Office of International Admissions
    PO Box 751
    Portland, OR 97207

    Upload & Submit Documents


    Submit financial documentation for I-20.

    Financial documentation is not required to make an admission decision. However, if your financial documentation is submitted with your initial application, it will greatly reduce the processing time of your application in total. Learn more about required financial documentation for international students we must verify in order to issue the I-20.

    Upload & Submit Documents


    Check your application status.

    You will be notified by email about the status of your application, for each document you submit and your admission decision. You can also check the status of your application online.

    • Go to Portland State University's online application system and log in. If you forgot your login or pin, contact Admissions at 503-725-3511 or 800-547-8887, extension 5-3511 [toll free in the U.S.] or Under "Processed Applications" select the application for which you would like to check the status under "Admission Term". A summary will display with details about your application and what may be missing, and perhaps, delaying an admission decision.
    • If you are admitted, immediately request official copies of your academic documents (high school transcripts, degree certificates, exam results, college/university transcripts) to be sent to our office. 
    • If you are admitted and are currently studying at another school, college, or university in the United States, we will also require the Transfer Information Form. The Transfer Information Form is completed by your international or immigration adviser and sent to our International Student & Scholar Services officer using the instructions on the form.

    If you are not receiving email communications from Portland State University, be sure to check your email account. Once you set up your student account all communications will be sent to that email address. If you are not receiving information from us in any email inboxes, please contact us at

    Application Deadlines & Important Dates

    Portland State University accepts applications for each term on a rolling admissions basis.

    Once all documents have been received, please allow three to five weeks for an admissions decision. Students applying for financial aid should apply as early as possible. Priority is given to applicants who have submitted complete files by the following dates.

    Fall (September start) August 1
    Winter (January start) December 1
    Spring (March start) March 1
    Summer (June start) July 1

    There are a limited number of undergraduate programs that require an additional application for students wishing to enroll in restricted upper-division coursework. Please consult your academic adviser for information on application deadlines, prerequisite courses, and grade point average restrictions.