How Do I Get Benefits After I Register?

If it is your first term receiving Veteran benefits at PSU, once you are registered for your courses, you must submit a paper Veterans Certification form to the Veterans Certification Office in Western Hemlock 21. If you are not able to submit the form in person, you may submit it via email to or via fax to 503.725.5525 (ATTN: Veterans Certification Office). If it is not your first term receiving Veterans benefits at PSU you must submit the Veteran Course Certification E-form via Banweb.

The Veterans Certification Office will check the degree applicability of your registration and certify all eligible courses for payment by the Federal VA. Please note that the Federal VA will not pay for any courses that are not directly applicable to your declared program objective.

Important Enrollment Information:

Reporting changes in your enrollment

Any changes to your schedule (this includes both adding and dropping of courses) must be reported to the Veterans Certification Office immediately as these changes may have a direct effect of benefits paid to you or to the University. Immediate notification of these changes can prevent overpayments and thus prevent future problems with the VA.

Enrollment Requirements:

VA Education benefits are paid out based on the number of credits you are certified for. See the chart below for the number of credits you must be certified for to maintain proper standing:

Certified For: Undergraduate Graduate
Full Time 12 credits 9 credits
Three-Quarter Time 9 credits 7 credits
Half Time 6 credits 5 credits

Monthly verification of enrollment required for some programs:

If you are a student-veteran receiving benefits under Chapters 30, 1606 or 1607, you are required to complete a monthly verification of enrollment with the VA before payments will be released to your account. The verification of enrollment must be done at the end of each month and may be done online at: Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by calling the following toll-free number: 1.800.827.1000.

Contact Information:

Location: Western Hemlock 21
Phone: 503.725.8380
Toll free: 1.800.547.8887, ext. 58380

Portland State University
ATTN: RO/Veterans Certification
PO Box 751
Portland, OR 97207-0751

Veterans Certification Officer:
Mindy Hendley