Deployment & Unexpected Withdrawal

What if I get deployed or need to withdraw from courses unexpectedly?

What if I’m deployed or cannot attend classes due to an illness or unexpected situation?

The Portland State University refund policy generally provides for full refund of dropped or withdrawn courses resulting from being called to active duty in military service. No refund is available for course work in which a student has received academic credit, or from courses not dropped/withdrawn. For a full refund, the student must make a written request to the Office of the Registrar within thirty days of withdrawal. Documentation of military orders is required.

A student voluntarily enlisting in military service must drop/withdraw according to existing academic policy, procedures, and deadlines, or by petition to the Deadline Appeals Committee.

If you are involuntarily activated or deployed, cannot attend classes because of something unexpected (such as a death in the family or personal illness) please bring proof (doctor’s letter, hospital records, etc.) to the Veteran Service Office (Western Hemlock 21) to discuss options for dropping/withdrawing you from your courses.

Please keep in mind that if you’re receiving G.I. Bill® benefits or educational benefits from the VA that you are also responsible for ensuring that they are aware of your situation as well. If you are receiving benefits under the Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) you will also need to speak to your caseworker to ensure proper protocol in withdrawing from courses. All we need is proof and we can take care of the process for you.

If you have any questions please stop by the Veterans Certification Office in Western Hemlock 21 or contact us at 503.725.8380 or

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at