Apply to Use VA Education Benefits

First time users of veterans' education benefits must complete the appropriate application directly with the Veterans Administration (VA). Most education programs allow student-veterans to submit their application to the VA online. Since an online application goes directly to the VA it is the fastest means to getting benefits. The VA advises that student-veterans allow six to eight weeks for processing first time applications.

Since there are a number of different education programs offered by the VA, student-veterans must know under which program they desire to establish eligibility.

VA Education Programs:

If student-veterans are uncertain for which program they may be eligible, they should contact a Veteran's Benefit Counselor at 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

Note: In the event student-veterans are eligible under more than one program federal law prohibits using more than one program at a time. The VA limits eligibility under any program or subsequent combination of programs to a maximum of 48 months.

Online applications for VA education benefits can be submitted online via the Veterans On-line Application (VONAPP)

Transferring VA education benefits to PSU

If student-veterans have already established eligibility for education benefits and used them at a school other than PSU they do not need to reapply. Prior users need to complete VA Form 22-1995 to change their place of education/training to PSU.

Student-veterans attending PSU under the VA's Vocational Rehabilitation program (Chapter 31) must work with their assigned vocational rehabilitation counselors to transfer to PSU. All student-veterans under the Chapter 31 program need counselor approval prior to enrolling in (or transferring) any education or training.