Never fear; Success is still here!
While University Success East and West are closed for the foreseeable future, we are still available for virtual 1-on-1 appointments with our student leaders and professional staff. Work on goal setting, resume writing, writing support, getting connected to campus resources, time management help, and more!
University Success provides in-hall after hours academic support for residents and is here to help students living on campus throughout their journey at Portland State with challenges big and small! We offer tailored support to first year students, new transfer students, sophomores, and upper division students by offering a variety of services.
We have two late night academic support centers on campus. University Success East primarily focuses on first year students and University Success West primarily focuses on transfer and upper-division students.
In our space, you will find:
- A comfortable study lounge
- Group study spaces
- White boards
- Computer work stations with free printing
- Writing support
- Resume help
- Staff who can help with questions from basic to complex
- Resources for financial support, time management, goal setting, etc.
- Free tea
- Swag! Lots of Swag!
Connecting With Us
Support is at your fingertips, whether from the trained students living nearby or the events taking place in our residence halls. These are just a few of our signature events and resources we provide.
Our events are the place to take a step toward building a brighter future and reaching your potential at PSU!
- Kickstart Your Brain is where your academic adventures begin during Viking Days. Find your classes, learn about resources, and set yourself up for success!
- Weekly Success Series focus on different areas of wellness and are carefully crafted by your peers to help you find your way.
- Refuel Your Brain helps you gear up for finals. Have some fun, get free food, and take a break!
We have many staff members who are here to help you create new opportunities for success and support you as you navigate any barriers that may get in your way. Want to connect, but don't know how? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Learning Community Assistants and Resident Academic Mentors are trained peers who live on your floor or nearby and who also work at University Success. Our staff can help you from the start of your academic journey to the very end.
- Our First Year Experience Freshman Inquiry (FYE-FRINQ) Program works in conjunction with University Success to create learning communities in the residence hall. As a participant, you will have an assigned Learning Community Assistant and take the same class as everyone who lives with you on your floor. You'll create strong bonds and learn together with hands-on support from our team.
- The 3.0 Club will help guide you through your first year at PSU with regular workshops, newsletters, and professional staff support. Commit yourself to getting a 3.0 or above by embarking on this journey with us.
- We provide one-on-one support through our Academic Connect and Academic Coaching, or by request. You'll meet weekly to co-create a plan to help you define and achieve academic success. Our Academic Connect program is for students who have fallen outside of the parameters for good academic standing at Portland State University. Our Academic Coaching is a special program for first-year students and is opt-in.
Would you like someone in your corner as you venture into Portland State as a first-year student? We've got your back!
With our Academic Coaching program, we pair you up with a coach who will help you navigate conquering your college experience. You will get to know each other so you and your coach can work together to reach your full potential. Your coach will help you navigate your path and will help you explore through activities, discussions, and self-exploration.
We offer five free sessions per term to any first-year student living on campus. Your Academic Advisor is different from your Academic Coach and we encourage you to continue to work with your Academic Advisor.
Things your coach may explore with you:
- Learning how to balance school, work, and friends
- Exploring what motivates you
- Tacking procrastination
- Enhancing time management skills
- Connecting you to PSU resources
- Establishing goals and holding you accountable
- Building skills to help you find success in college
- Studying and learning skills
University Success East
Ondine Residence Hall
2nd Floor, Suite 207
University Success West
King Albert Residence Hall
Ground Level, Suite 010