ReadOregon Course of Study
Course of Study
The ReadOregon curriculum is steeped in strategies, research, and tools that teachers of all grade levels and content areas can apply immediately to their instruction.
ReadOregon projected course offerings 2021-2022
|Name||Spr 2021||Sum 2021||Fall 2021||Win 2022|
|READ 532: Writing Program Design and Implementation in K-12 Classrooms||X||X|
|READ 509: Practicum: ReadOregon||X||X||X|
|READ 519: Linguistics, Phonics, and Word-Level Reading Difficulties||X||X|
|READ 580: School Reading Program Leadership||X||X|
|READ 527: Literature in Classrooms K-12||X||X|
|READ 522: Literacy Foundations||X||X|
|READ 534: Literacy Assessment||X||X|
|READ 544: Comprehension, Text Structure, and Vocabulary||X||X|
This table reflects recent TSPC-approved changes to the READ Oregon program of study. Beginning Fall 2020, our new program of study is effective, and student coursework will transfer according to the ReadOregon Crosswalk. Please note that the revised program of study remains 24 credits all previous and current coursework that falls within the 7-year window will apply to the revised program: No coursework will be lost in this process of moving to the revised program.
Program of study 12-credit certificate
Students take 12 credits of core ReadOregon courses.
- All credits in the certificate of completion may be used towards the reading endorsement.
- All credits must be completed within a seven year time frame.
- Students are encouraged to complete their endorsement program within two to three years.
In the ReadOregon practicum, you will be expected to complete 90 hours of university literacy fieldwork in K-12 grades. You need at least 12 credits of ReadOregon courses in the four required thematic areas before you can take the practicum. You may do your practicum in your own classroom as long as there is someone in the building who has their reading endorsement who can be your cooperating teacher. If you are not working at the moment, we can find a placement for you.
Request a practicum by completing the ReadOregon Practicum Request form one term in advance of when you plan to do your practicum in order to allow time to confirm or find a placement, if needed. The practicum is offered during the academic year only and will require you to register and pay, just like any other ReadOregon course.
- Request your practicum by the deadline. It allows our field placement coordinator time to confirm your placement
- May 15 For Fall term practicum beginning late September
- October 15 for Winter term practicum beginning early January
- January 15 for Spring term practicum beginning late March
- You may do your practicum in your own classroom as long as there is someone in your building who has their reading endorsement. If you need a placement, let us know.
- You must have completed at least 12 credits of core ReadOregon courses.
- Read the overview of the ReadOregon Practicum experience.
- Read the general expectations for Cooperating Professionals.
Please email an electronic copy of your résumé to email@example.com. Indicate "ReadOregon program" in the subject line. If you have any questions about your practicum placement, please contact Penny Jasso.
Students are charged a $103 assessment fee. TK20 is our platform for storing and analyzing data for accreditation for both the state and the Council for Accreditation for Educator Preparation.
Instructions for 24-credit Reading Endorsement
Step 1 - Complete program requirements
- Take 21 credits of required coursework
- Complete 90-hour supervised practicum
- Take and pass the Praxis II exam for reading specialists
Step 2 - Apply for endorsement by submitting the following:
- Program the completion form
- Proof of passing Praxis II exam
- Request for Licensure Recommendation form
- $25 fee
- Official transcripts for any program coursework done at other universities
Step 3 - Review instructions for adding an endorsement to your existing Oregon teaching license.
General licensure questions? Contact Licensure directly.
Instructions for 12-credit Literacy Education Certificate of Completion
Complete program requirements
- Take 12 credits of required coursework
- Submit the program completion form
- Submit official transcripts for any program coursework done at other universities
You may use all certificate courses towards your 24-credit reading endorsement.
The Certificate of Completion is not a license nor certification of any kind.