Here are some dictionary meanings, which are pretty fitting to our program:
1. To break forth into sudden flame or light (learning!) especially transiently or intermittently
2. To burst suddenly into view or perception (global awareness)
3. To have a sudden thought, insight, or inspiration about…(critical thinking)
4. To feel an instantaneous understanding and appreciation of…(wellness)
HOW IT WORKS
Campus Rec will offer 5- 12 positions during winter 2013 for the following employment areas: Member Services Staff, Intramurals Official, Fitness Center Staff, Inclusive Rec Monitor and Lifeguard, and Facilities Services Staff. (Please note, specific positions are not guaranteed.) Employees will form a FLASH cohort receiving organized training and support throughout their freshman year of employment.
This program will start winter 2013 and provide on-campus employment and development opportunities to incoming first-year students. The program is designed to provide resources and support to freshman who may be seeking their first paid job and aspire to become future leaders of Campus Rec. We are looking for students who will enhance our diverse and multi-culturally competent staff.
· Current Portland State University degree seeking student with freshman class standing (defined as having fewer than 30 completed college credits)
· Maintain minimum enrollment of 6 undergraduate credits for three out of four terms in the year
- Minimum 2.0 grade point average and maintain good academic standing during employment
- Positive attitude
- Commitment to Campus Rec’s mission statement
· Students must be available for training on: Tuesday, 12/11/2012 and Wednesday, 12/12/12 from 8:30am-2:30pm as well as 2-5pm the second Friday of every month, January –June.
1. Complete the Campus Rec application. Application can be found here: http://www.pdx.edu/recreation/sites/www.pdx.edu.recreation/files/CREC_Application_2012Updated.doc. For position applying for, write, “FLASH.”
2. Write a one page cover letter that includes the ranking of the positions listed below based on your interest and explain the position(s) that you find most desirable & the one(s) you find least desirable and why.
d. Lifeguard (must have current lifeguard certification to be eligible)
3. Answer the following essay question: Explain why you are interested in the FLASH Program, what specific skills would you like to acquire, and what do you hope to contribute? (200 words or less)
4. Email application, cover letter, and essay question to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: FLASH, (your last name)
5. You will receive a confirmation email that we have received your application within one week of receipt.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: Application closed for 2012. Please check our Employment Opportunities page for open positions.
If you need accommodations filling out this application, please contact the Campus Rec Administrative Suite front desk at 503-725-5127 or email@example.com.
Portland State University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Institution and welcomes applications from diverse candidates and candidates who support diversity.