Here are some dictionary meanings, which are pretty fitting to our program:
- To break forth into sudden flame or light (learning!) especially transiently or intermittently
- To burst suddenly into view or perception (global awareness)
- To have a sudden thought, insight, or inspiration about…(critical thinking)
- To feel an instantaneous understanding and appreciation of…(wellness)
How FLASH Works
This program will start fall term 2014 and provide on-campus employment and development opportunities to incoming first-year students. The program is designed to provide resources and support to freshman who may be seeking their first paid job and aspire to become future leaders of Campus Rec. We are looking for students who will enhance our diverse and multi-culturally competent staff.
- Current Portland State University degree seeking student with freshman class standing (defined as having fewer than 30 completed college credits)
- Maintain minimum enrollment of 6 undergraduate credits for three out of four terms in the year
- Minimum 2.0 grade point average and maintain good academic standing during employment
- Positive attitude
- Commitment to Campus Rec’s mission statement
- Successfully complete a background check
- Must be available to attend multiple mandatory trainings (See below for times and dates)
How to Apply
- Complete the Campus Rec application (DOC).
- For position applying for, write, “FLASH.”
- Write a one page cover letter that includes the ranking of the positions listed below based on your interest and explain the position(s) that you find most desirable & the one(s) you find least desirable and why.
- Answer the following essay question: Explain why you are interested in the FLASH Program, what specific skills would you like to acquire, and what do you hope to contribute? (200 words or less)
- Email application, cover letter, and essay question to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: FLASH, (your last name)
- You will receive a confirmation email that we have received your application within one week of receipt.
Deadline for Submission: TBA
If you need accommodations filling out this application, please contact the Campus Rec Administrative Suite front desk at 503-725-5127 or email@example.com.
FLASH Info Sessions
Freshman! Looking for on campus employment? Want to work at the Rec Center? Come to the Campus Rec FLASH Info Session and get the inside scoop about employment.
Mandatory FLASH Employee Trainings
Portland State University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Institution and welcomes applications from diverse candidates and candidates who support diversity.