Everyone in the PSU community plays a role in setting and evolving the University’s sustainability and climate action goals. Whether you engage in a specific program or more generally consider the intersections of sustainability in your work, research, teaching, and education, the organizations making up Sustainability at PSU (the Campus Sustainability Office, Student Sustainability Center, and Institute for Sustainable Solutions) are excited to meet and collaborate with you!
There are many ways to get involved with and learn about sustainability at PSU. Every day, there are countless sustainability research, advocacy, education, and action activities related to sustainability on campus and in the community. Students, faculty, employees, and community members can connect through a variety of groups, programs, and initiatives.
The opportunities listed below are available to all PSU students, faculty, and staff. In addition, the campus and cultural sustainability tours and Sustainability Dashboard are available for the community and public.
Scroll or click below to see additional ways to get involved that are specific to students, faculty and staff, and community. We are more than happy to answer your questions and consider your requests for additions to this website.
There are many ways to get involved with sustainability as a student at PSU. As a starting place, we recommend checking out the Student Sustainability Center (SSC), which offers a variety of programs designed for networking, mentorship, leadership development, and more. In addition to the SSC, here is a snapshot of other opportunities for students.
- Join or form a student group related to sustainability, like the Environmental Club, ASHRAE student chapter, Association of Environmental Science Students, Extinction Rebellion PSU, and more.
- Check out education and research opportunities related to sustainability, such as courses, degrees and certificate programs, and the Living Lab program.
- Browse PSU's career resources, including PSU Handshake. PSU even has a sustainability-focused career advisor, Mary Vance. Schedule an appointment with Mary.
- Campus jobs with the Student Sustainability Center, Campus Sustainability Office, and Institute for Sustainable Solutions are typically advertised in our newsletter and social media @sustainablepdx.
- Connect with nature, the outdoors, and bike commuting with the PSU Outdoor Program and Bike Hub.
- Volunteer and participate in service events through the Student Community Engagement Center (SCEC).
- Build community and create lasting connections through the PSU Resource Centers.
As employees of the University, faculty and staff are key partners in fulfilling PSU's sustainability commitments, connecting academics and research to broader community needs, and integrating sustainability into every day actions and conversations.
Connect within and across departments
Peer-to-peer opportunities related to sustainability include Climate Champions (see below) and the Faculty Fellows program, a cross-campus network of more than 100 faculty who champion sustainability-related education and research within their departments and beyond. Whether your department is interested in becoming a Climate Champion or discussing sustainability more broadly, the Campus Sustainability Office is always available to connect. If you are a faculty member and you would like to become a Faculty Fellow or discuss sustainability research and City-community partnerships, contact the Institute for Sustainability Solutions. Find contact information for both organizations on the Contact Us page.
Whether you interact with students in the classroom or in the office, faculty and staff can empower students through integrating sustainability into teaching, research, and departmental activities. This may take the form of creating opportunities for students to get involved in sustainability projects, connecting students to leadership and professional development opportunities, or ensuring access to information on student health and well-being.
Travel Offset Program
Travel Offset Program
There are many creative ways to reduce travel, but when it is necessary for work and enrichment, the PSU Travel Offset Program provides a mechanism for funding energy and water savings projects on campus. Through your department’s voluntary participation, the Travel Offset Program helps reduce the carbon impacts associated with University-funded travel.
Wondering how your department can support PSU’s climate action and sustainability goals through every day practices? Become a certified PSU Climate Champion department! The program recognizes resource conservation and stewardship within PSU departments and includes an assessment to track progress on sustainable best practices for the workplace.
The creation of a just, healthy, vibrant and resilient world is a bigger job than any one institution, organization, company or individual can do on their own. Portland State is always looking for new ways to partner with the community for collective impact.
Connect & Partner
Would you like to find help or partner with Portland State on a sustainability-related project? Contact us or visit the PSU Partnerships site to learn about partnering with the University more broadly.
- To suggest a partnership opportunity or get more information about any of our programs, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Are you interested in hosting a PSU student intern for a sustainability related position within your organization? Contact Career Counselor Mary Vance to get started.
- Do you have a job, internship, or volunteer opportunity for students? Use PSU Handshake and GivePulse to post opportunities. Once your opportunities are posted (through these platforms or externally), feel free to reach out and request that we share these opportunities with students!
- Interested in deepening your sustainability education? Consider a PSU Sustainability Graduate Certificate.
Support our work
Visit the PSU Foundation website to learn how you can support sustainability work at PSU with a tax-deductible donation.
The PSU Sustainability Celebration typically occurs in late May and includes a project showcase, the Excellence in Sustainability Awards, networking, and more. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram @sustainablepdx to hear about each Celebration.
In addition to sharing events on the PSU website on through social media, many student organizations and clubs will list their events on PSU Connect. Use this platform to browse upcoming events and connect with PSU students.