International Student Scholarships
International Achievement Scholarship
The International Achievement Scholarship is awarded to new international undergraduate students on the basis of their academic achievement. Students who maintain high academic standing may receive renewed funding for up to four years.
All admitted students automatically will be considered for the scholarship. You are not required to submit a scholarship application.
Award Amount: up to $4,500 annually
- Eligible students typically have entering grade point averages (GPA) of at least 3.5 out of a possible 4.0 grading scale.
- Students who have not yet met the TOEFL/English Language Proficiency requirement are eligible for this scholarship; however, activation of the scholarship will be delayed until after the ESL restriction has been lifted and the students are fully eligible for unrestricted enrollment in academic classes.
- The International Achievement Scholarship is restricted to new applicants only for up to 12 terms for freshmen and six terms for transfers. Students already enrolled at Portland State are not eligible.
- Master's and doctoral applicants may be eligible for this scholarship depending on funding availability.
Clark and Shirley Chow Scholarship
This scholarship was established in memory of the late professors Dr. Phillip C. Roberti and Dr. Morris B. Silverman of the PSU Chemistry Department, who actively encouraged students to explore the field of chemistry beyond its horizons, and who had a positive impact on others.
Award Amount: $25,000 annually, renewable for up to four years or up to $100,000 in total
- International student who graduated from Pui Ching Middle School (PCMS) in Hong Kong, SAR, China
- Meet PSU admissions requirements:
- Freshman with a 3.0 GPA or higher (overall 4 or higher at PCMS) who has demonstrated major academic improvement in the last three years.
- Transfer with 2.25 GPA or higher (from a university in the U.S. or Canada).
- Student must have demonstrated financial need, as determined by PCMS staff.
- Student will enroll in 45 quarter credits per academic year at PSU.
- Student must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher at PSU for renewal each year.
Deadline: July 1, 2021
How to Apply: Apply through the Portland State University Scholarship Application
Fulbright Matching Grant
The Fulbright Matching Grant is available to Fulbright Scholars who are admitted and enroll in Portland State University degree programs. This renewable grant is available to all Fulbright Scholars who begin a degree program at Portland State University. A separate application form is not required to receive this grant. To be considered for this grant, contact the Office of International Admissions. Portland State waives the admissions application fee for Fulbright scholars.
Award Amount: The grant will match up to $4,500 of Fulbright sponsorship during each academic year of the degree program. This grant is applicable to Portland State University instructional fees in each eligible term of enrollment.
Scholarships Administered by International Student Services
These scholarships are available through the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) for qualified F-1 and J-1 students: the International Cultural Service Program (ICSP), the International Student Retention Scholarship (ISRS), and the Keith Morden Memorial Scholarship.
International Student Retention Scholarship (ISRS): Recipients receive a $1,500 tuition waiver for a maximum of six terms and awarded to international undergraduate, graduate and postbaccalaureate students who demonstrate financial need, have clearly defined academic and professional goals, and who strive for academic excellence are encouraged to apply for the ISRS.
Cultural Service Program (ICSP): This scholarship is $3,250 tuition remission per term each year for F-1 international students. ICSP students spend 90 hours each academic year volunteering at cultural events or giving presentations about their cultures to audiences at PSU and in the local Portland area.
Keith Morden Memorial Scholarship: This award assists one qualified international student per year with that student’s final two terms of undergraduate studies at PSU. The application is by invitation only in the fall for students entering their senior year. Recipients receive approximately $800 per term for their final 2 terms of study.