Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)
Eligible nonresidents pay 150% of resident tuition
Portland State University proudly participates in the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) for qualified incoming freshman and transfer students. WUE students pay reduced tuition equal to 150% of resident tuition.
All applicants are automatically considered for WUE, no separate application is required.
The WUE tuition benefit is available for up to four academic years for freshmen students, three academic years for sophomore transfer students, and two academic years for both junior and senior transfer students. The WUE tuition benefit does not cover housing, meals, books, or personal expenses.
If an applicant does not meet the requirements for the WUE they will be considered for Out-of-State Opportunity Scholarship. WUE cannot be combined with the Out-of-State Opportunity Scholarship or talent scholarships offered by PSU, or used concurrently, or in alternating fashion, with the Washington Border Policy.
Cost of Annual Tuition and Fees at 15 Credits Per Term (2020-2021)
|In-State Tuition||WUE Tuition||Out-of-State Tuition|
The WUE tuition benefit is automatically awarded to students who meet these criteria regardless of intended major:
- Be a legal resident of one of the following states or territories: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
- Meet PSU's academic requirements for WUE:
- Freshman Academic Requirements: 3.0 cumulative unweighted high school GPA OR 1270 SAT OR 27 ACT composite
- Transfer Academic Requirements: 3.0 cumulative transferable college GPA
- First-time PSU student, start in Fall term, enroll full-time (12 - 15 credits per term)
Portland State does not practice academic renewal when calculating a student's GPA for the purpose of admission or scholarship and grant consideration.
Review WUE Official Policies for more details on eligibility.
All qualified students are considered for WUE regardless of intended major. Incoming students will be notified via email if they are eligible for the WUE tuition benefit.
All applicants to PSU are encouraged to complete a FAFSA.
Students are required to maintain status as a PSU non-resident undergraduate student, maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 for overall attempted credits and enroll in 12 or more PSU undergraduate credits each academic term.