MSW Advanced Standing Option
Students with a Bachelor's in Social Work degree (BSW) from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), through its International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Services (or covered under a memorandum of understanding with international social work accreditors) are eligible to apply for the Advanced Standing option of the Masters in Social Work. The course of study for the Advanced Standing option includes 46 credit hours of advanced curriculum and can be completed in a minimum of four terms. Students are required to take a minimum of two required courses the first summer, though additional electives may also be taken the same term. This option can be completed in Portland, Central Oregon, Eugene, or Online.
Admittance to the Advanced Standing option will be based on:
- Completion of BSW degree from a CSWE accredited program within five years of admission to the MSW program;
- A field evaluation from the applicant's BSW program demonstrating satisfactory generalist practice experience;
- Three letters of recommendation. At least one letter should address the applicant's academic readiness to engage in graduate level coursework (preferably from the BSW program).
Preference is given to applicants with:
- 2000 hours of human service experience at time of application. These hours can be gained through paid employment, internships, and/or volunteer work.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above in BSW coursework.
Prospective students may be admitted conditionally based on their performance and application materials.
However, full admission is contingent upon receipt of the final BSW field evaluation and/or positive reference from a social worker familiar with the applicant's skills in social work practice.
|Classes Start||Starting Summer 2022||Starting Summer 2023||Starting Summer 2024|
|Applications Due||Applications due January 2022||Applications due January 2023||Applications due January 2024|
|Sites Accepting Applications||