Applications may be obtained online between January 1st and March 1 for each fall term. Applications must be submitted or postmarked by March 1st. **UPDATE: due to recent closures we are extending the BSW application deadline to Monday, March 15th. Application materials need to be postmarked by March 15th.
We advise students to begin thinking about and preparing for the admissions process as soon as they think social work may be their major. The BSW Program is a professional program and we accept students into the program once a year. We do not have “rolling admissions” or “open admission.” If you are currently a junior you may not assume you will get into the program and start in the fall term unless you have applied and have been accepted, so start planning in your sophomore year. It is recommended that you take SW 301U: Introduction to Social Work before you apply so you can make sure this career choice is the best match with your interests, experience, and skills.
Contact our BSW Advisors to answer additional questions you may have after reviewing the material on the website.
- Provide current contact Information and personal information (DOB, race/ethnicity, veteran status, etc.).
- Select the program option you are applying for, Portland Option or Online Option.
- Provide your residency status for tuition purposes.
- Please review the Criminal Conviction Statement.
- Be admitted to Portland State University to apply.
- Be “junior” status (90 credits) by the term you will be admitted.
- Meet the 3 prerequisites (4 credits of PSY, 4 credits of Human Development, and 4 credits of SOC).
- Complete and submit your application by due date posted.
- List all volunteer, work, and military experience. Please be aware that special attention is paid to experience in social work or related fields, both paid and volunteer.
- Submit two (2) letters of reference from individuals who can address and discuss your work history and/or your volunteer experiences; do not have family members, therapists, or friends complete this form
- Submit Unofficial transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Submit a short essay about why you desire to become a social worker