Four-Year Degree Guarantee
Portland State is committed to help you graduate in four years, saving you thousands of dollars in tuition and college costs. No other public university in Oregon provides this guarantee.
PSU promises that full-time freshmen who sign an agreement will get the support and courses necessary to graduate in four years — or PSU will not charge them tuition for any remaining required courses. Students pay for only four years. That's our guarantee.
Sophomore business major Jasmin Landa said the four-year degree guarantee was one of the main factors in her decision to move from Nevada to attend PSU. “It’s an added layer of oversight that keeps me on track,” she says. “It makes college a little easier and clearer. It's like an umbrella over me.” She also recommended the program to her sister, who followed her to Portland State.
Incoming freshmen can submit the Four-Year Degree Guarantee Agreement during specific opt-in periods. Academic advisers review the academic record of students who submit the 4YDG agreement to determine eligibility. Eligibility is based on appropriate placement in math courses; students must complete online placement tests as soon as possible in order to be considered for the 4YDG.
The opt-in period for students admitted for fall 2017 is May 1 to June 1, 2017.
Here's how it works:
- Full-time freshmen entering PSU in fall 2017 submit the 4YDG Agreement.
- All new undergraduate students must attend New Student Orientation during which they register for their first term courses. To ensure availability of required courses, it is strongly recommended students attend the earliest Orientation session during which an adviser from their major is available and no later than July 20.
- To remain eligible, students who opt-in for the 4YDG must earn a minimum of 45 credits a year, maintain good academic standing, and satisfy requirements as outlined by their major's Degree Map.
- PSU will provide academic advising and the required courses each year. Students may change majors and continue to participate in the 4YDG only if they can still meet graduation requirements for the new major within four years of entering PSU.
- If students meet all the requirements of the 4YDG but are unable to graduate in four years due to course availability, PSU will not charge them tuition for any courses needed to complete their degrees.