Safe Driving Terms

Authorized Driver

Employee or student (at least 18 years of age) of the University who meets eligibility requirements and has been authorized by the University &/or their department to drive for University Business by completing PSU's Driver Authorization form

Borrowed Vehicle

A vehicle that is not a State-owned or University-owned vehicle or a hired vehicle (rental) used in connection with University Business. Borrowed vehicles include vehicles owned by employees, students or others used in the course of University Business. (Some PSU department policies refer to borrowed vehicle as personal vehicle.)

Distracted Driving

Operating a motor vehicle while holding and/or using a mobile electronic device. Operating a motor vehicle includes while temporarily stationary because of traffic, a traffic control device, or other momentary delays. To legally use a mobile electronic device in a motor vehicle, the motor vehicle must be stopped in a location where it can safely remain stationary, and (i) is pulled over on the side of, pulled off, a roadway; or (ii) is in a designated parking space.


Eligibility Requirements

To be an eligible driver, an individual must be a minimum of 18 years of age, have at least 2 years of active driving experience, provide proof of a valid USA driver’s license, and have not committed any driving offense as defined in this guideline and on PSU's Driver Authorization form.  International driver’s licenses are not acceptable for driving University Vehicles.

Hired Vehicle 

A vehicle leased or rented by PSU or any of its departments.

Mobile Electronic Device

An electronic device that is not permanently installed in a motor vehicle (e.g., cell phone, tablet, GPS, laptop, etc.). This includes, but it is not limited to, a device capable of text messaging, voice communication, entertainment, navigation, accessing the internet, or producing electronic mail. 


State-owned vehicle

A vehicle owned by or registered in the name of the State of Oregon and/or its motor pool.



A person on record at the PSU Registrar’s Office as currently enrolled in either part-time or full-time matriculated study at the University.



Refers to Portland State University, its colleges, departments, and programs.


University Business

Any university/college/department program, approved educational activity, or university business function that is in the course and scope of an employee's job duties or student's assigned tasks.  
This includes any travel directly related to University Business, including travel conducted by employees and students of the university that is in compliance with PSU Travel Guide   

NOTE: It is the policy of Student Activities and Leadership Programs (SALP) that travel also includes any time a student organization plans or sanctions travel outside of the tri-county area even if that travel is not paid for by university funds.
University travel does not include stops for entertainment, food, or other social purpose that falls outside the definition of university business above.


University-sanctioned Program

Any student activity or program, approved in writing, which is undertaken to further the instructional, research, service or administrative support mission of the University or advantageous to the cultural or physical development of university students.
SALP/CREC Driving Policy


University Vehicle

A vehicle owned, leased, hired, &/or rented in the name of PSU or any of its departments to conduct university business.



Any mobile conveyance included in the definition of "vehicle" in ORS 801.590 of the Oregon Vehicle Code (including, but not limited to, cars, vans, trucks, buses, and motorcycles).