Many professional development opportunities are available at no or low cost. Below are some ideas for PSU employees and managers to consider when working to improve skills, gain experience, or pursue professional goals.
Employee Development Plan: Establish goals and aspirations so the events, training, or resources you seek will be working toward your professional goals. Contact Human Resources for assistance with planning your development.
Other Development Opportunities
- Webinars and TED Talks are a great, and often free, way to bring information to your department. Consider watching webinars or talks together and then holding a discussion about the topic.
- Sign up to receive daily or weekly emails from professional organizations or sites that provide development advice. A few to consider:
- Harvard Business Review Newsletter (management tips, leadership articles, and others)
- The Muse (Career advice articles and emails)
- Linked In (Make connections, read articles, learn from thought leaders)
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC) Leadership Newsletter
- The Chronicle Newsletter (news/updates about higher education)
- Vital Smarts Newsletter (Publisher of Crucial Conversations; tips on having difficult conversations)
- Lead and/or present at a meeting
- Participate in a University committee
- Job shadow or meet with someone whose job interests you
- Attend campus events to expand your professional network
- Read a book on a skill or knowledge area that you want to develop, and discuss it with a colleague
Resources for Working and/or Managing Employees Who Work Remotely