Emergency & Crisis
Counseling Services staff are available to assist any student experiencing a mental health emergency or faculty/staff working with a student in distress. During SHAC hours of operation call 503.725.2800, or come to SHAC at the corner of SW 6th & Hall. After hours call the Multnomah County Crisis Line or Campus Public Safety.
Emergency Contact Numbers
PSU Emergency Numbers
Office of Residence Life: 503.725.2450
Campus Public Safety: 503.725.4404
Other Emergency Numbers
Multnomah County Crisis Line (24-HR): 503.988.4888
Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741
Cascadia Urgent Walk-in Clinic: (7 AM-10 PM), 2415 SE 43rd Ave.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1.800.273.TALK
LGBTQ Suicide Hotline: 866.488.7386
Call to Safety: 503.235.5333
The Trevor Project Website
Are you or someone you know concerned?
If you are thinking about suicide, PLEASE contact someone who can help NOW
Did you know that suicide is the second leading cause of death among college students? A substantial number of students who attempt suicide are depressed. Yet, depression and other causes of suicide are treatable conditions. It is sometimes said that suicide is a permanent solution to what is often a temporary problem. Here are some steps you can take to reduce the risk of suicide for those you know and care about.
Know the Warning Signs
- Prior suicide attempts
- Talking or writing about suicide
- Talking about hating life or wanting to end it all
- Expressing hopelessness
- Taking unnecessary and life threatening risks
- Giving away personal belongings
- Withdrawing from friends or activities
- Significant increase in alcohol and/or drug use
- Persistent depression
- Be honest and express your concerns. For example, "You seemed really down lately; is something bothering you?"
- Be direct. For instance, ask if they've thought about hurting themselves.
- Listen and offer support and understanding. Avoid lecturing and judgment.
- Don't keep it a secret. Talk to others whom you trust.
- Let your friend know that help is available and offer to accompany them to see a counselor.
- Remind them that problems are usually temporary, yet suicide is forever.
- Find help to remove their stated means for hurting themselves, e.g. pills, knives.
- Seek help from university staff and other campus resources. Reach out to the PSU C.A.R.E. Team at 503-725-4422.
- Take care of yourself. Talk to someone after the crisis is over.
- Realize the limits of your responsibility.