Portland State University requires all employees and all students who live, work, learn, or access services on our campus to be up-to-date with their COVID-19 vaccination schedule or be approved for an applicable exemption. In PSU’s vaccination policy, “up-to-date” means being fully vaccinated and having received one additional vaccine dose, commonly referred to as a booster, if more than 180 days have passed from the date of one’s second dose of a Moderna or Pfizer vaccine, or if more than 90 days have passed since the date of one’s initial dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. The current PSU policy does not address additional booster shots that the CDC may recommend in the future.
COVID-19 vaccines have been proven safe and effective in preventing the spread of the coronavirus and are available for all Oregonians age 5 or older at no cost.
The following vaccines meet the PSU requirement:
- Vaccines authorized with the FDA’s full approval — including the two-dose Moderna and the two-dose Pfizer;
- Vaccines authorized in the U.S. for emergency use — the single-dose Johnson & Johnson;
- Or vaccines approved by the World Health Organization.
Where to get a COVID-19 vaccine
Vaccination appointments are available on campus (for students) and throughout the community, including in retail pharmacies.
- The Center for Student Health & Counseling (SHAC) offers a free Moderna vaccine, including boosters, for any PSU student taking at least 1 credit. Students may call the SHAC main line at 503.725.2800 to schedule their COVID-19 vaccine.
- Find a COVID-19 Vaccine in Oregon.
- Washington residents can visit vaccinelocator.doh.wa.gov to schedule an appointment.
- Find a COVID-19 vaccine anywhere in the United States through Vaccine.gov.
Additional safety protocols
We will continue to work with our public health partners and follow their guidance to make our campus as safe as possible. PSU will closely track statewide guidance and update university policies accordingly as the situation evolves.
Visit the COVID-19 Response webpage for updates.