Transferring In / Out

Transferring into UNST

Welcome to University Studies, and a distinctive transfer experience. As a PSU student, you will find connected learning experiences that lay the groundwork for lifelong learning. University Studies brings relevance and meaning to your general education.

As a transfer student, you are placed in the University Studies program according to the number of transfer credits completed at the time of your admission as a formally admitted student.

Once registered for courses at PSU as a formally admitted student, additional credits completed at another institution will not change this placement. Note that Quick Entry admission is not formal admission, so courses completed at PSU as a Quick Entry student are considered transfer credits for University Studies placement.

Your placement in the University Studies program will be reflected on your Transfer Evaluation and/or your DARS report. See the table below. As the table indicates, if you transfer with 90 or more credits, you will choose 3 classes from Upper-Division Cluster of your choice and a Senior Capstone. Cluster courses can fulfill requirements towards BA/BS or can apply towards a minor or a second major.

Please Note: The Upper Division Cluster requirement is a PSU requirement. There are no equivalent courses offered at other institutions. Your three cluster courses must be chosen from the list of approved courses and may not come from your major department.

0 - 29 Freshman Inquiry - UNST 1X1, 1X2, 1X3
30 - 59 Three Sophomore Inquiry courses - UNST 211-299
60 - 74 Two Sophomore Inquiry courses - UNST 211-299
75 - 89 One Sophomore Inquiry course - UNST 211-299
90-134 Three Upper-Division Cluster courses (12 credits) and Senior Capstone (6 credits)
135+ One Senior Capstone (6 credits)

*You must begin with the indicated course(s) and complete the remainder of the UNST program.

**Transfer Transition courses are no longer offered.  However, if you have completed a Transfer Transition course in the past it may be used to complete a Sophomore Inquiry requirement for students who were required to complete it as a third-term freshman (30-44 credits transferred).

1. If you are participating in a co-admission program, your placement may need to be adjusted. For more information, please contact:
2. If you have general questions about University Studies placement for co-admitted students, please

Transferring Out of UNST

I’m transferring to another institution, how do my FRINQ and SINQ credits transfer?

This is a great question! Students all over the world often have an opportunity to transfer in and out of colleges or universities during their academic careers. There are a myriad of reasons why students choose to transfer, but all colleges and universities require general education requirements to be met. Because these requirements vary at each college and university, students must meet with advisers at each institution they have attended and are planning to attend in order to develop a successful path to graduation.

University Studies courses are comparable to and connect with the general education requirements at Oregon institutions and others nationwide. Academic advisors are always available to assist students in resolving transfer issues. If you have any difficulty transferring UNST courses to another institution, contact Brooke Steward ( at the University Studies office for assistance. If you need to request a PSU transcript to be sent to another institution, please contact the Transcripts office.

Transferability of FRINQ and SRINQ credits

At Oregon public institutions, Freshman Inquiry and Senior Inquiry High School credit transfers as follows:

Completion of 1 term only: 5 credits General Elective
Completion of 2 terms only: 10 credits General Elective

Completion of full 3-term sequence:

  • 3 credits Freshman Writing (Writing 121 in Oregon)
  • 4 credits Social Science
  • 4 credits Science (exception: Oregon State University requires a lab science course)
  • 4 credits Arts and Letters

Sophomore Inquiry and Cluster Courses
Sophomore Inquiry and Cluster courses transfer as regular departmental or elective coursework.

Oregon Transfer Contacts

Oregon State University Transfer Articulation Coordinator: Judy Dahlem ( 541-737-2249

Western Oregon University Admissions Counselor: Lori Palmer ( 503-838-8232

(Note: Judy and Lori can ONLY answer questions about transferring Portland State's University Studies credits into their local school. They cannot answer any questions about Portland State registration, transferring into PSU, or other questions about our program or our school. Please contact Advising and Career Services for these kinds of questions.)