Transfers Finish Free Policy
Transfers Finish Free (TFF) is an institutional aid program that covers standard tuition and mandatory fees for eligible Oregon transfer students who enroll full-time. Initial awards are calculated at 15 credit hours per term and the amount is finalized at the end of the second week of the term when registration closes.
TFF covers standard tuition and mandatory fees for the lesser of four academic years or the completion of graduation requirements, and may only be used for standard academic terms (fall, winter, spring) and may NOT be used for housing, meal plans, books or personal expenses.
Certain academic programs have differential costs associated with their programs beyond standard tuition and mandatory fees. This list includes but is not limited to: The School of Business, Maseeh College of Engineering and Computer Science, College of the Arts, Honors College, online courses and programs such as Criminology and Criminal Justice Online. Student are responsible for paying additional charges.
TFF is only awarded to incoming students and is not awarded to current/continuing PSU students. TFF is only open to undergraduate students. Postbaccalaureate and graduate students are not eligible to receive TFF. TFF does not cover the cost of tuition and fees for students who study abroad while enrolled at PSU.
To qualify for Transfer Finish Free, students must meet the deadlines listed below.
- Deadline to submit undergraduate admission application for fall term
- Applicants must apply for undergraduate admission to fall term by June 15.
- There is no separate application for TFF. Eligibility is determined based on information submitted during the undergraduate admission and financial aid application processes.
- Deadline to submit FAFSA to the U.S. Department of Education
- Deadline to submit final official transcripts from all colleges/universities previously attended showing a 2.5 cumulative, transferable GPA
- Deadline to add PSU to the FAFSA (PSU school code: 003216)
- Deadline to submit any outstanding financial aid application documents
- Accept all state and federal grants*
*Students who can't meet the August 1st deadline for accepting state and federal grants must notify the PSU admissions office by August 1st.
To qualify for Transfers Finish Free, students must meet all the criteria listed below.
- Current resident of Oregon
- Applicants who reside out of state must meet university residency requirements by August 1 and may be asked to provide documentation of their legal residence in-state to receive TFF.
- Admissible to PSU as a transfer starting in fall term
- Students with 30 or more transferable quarter credits (20 semester credits) earned after high school graduation will be reviewed for admission as a transfer student.
- Applicants who initially applied to start in terms other than fall may change their start term to fall on or before the July 1 deadline to be considered for TFF.
- Co-admitted students who originally applied to winter, spring or summer term must change their start term to fall prior to matriculation at PSU to be considered for TFF. The three-term update limit does not apply for this change.
- Students co-admitted for a fall term prior to 2018 SHOULD NOT change their start term without first meeting with an admission counselor.
- Students who have earned college credit from PSU to satisfy high school graduation requirements while enrolled in high school may be eligible for TFF. Official high school transcripts must demonstrate that PSU courses were used to satisfy high school graduation requirements.
- Co-admitted students will only be considered for TFF if they have not yet matriculated at PSU as degree seeking students. Students who have applied and been admitted to PSU as co-admits are considered degree seeking. Matriculation is defined as having registered for and attended PSU courses. TFF funding is available for the lesser of four academic years or the completion of graduation requirements. For co-admitted students, either time frame begins with the fall term associated with the application for admission, regardless of whether the student enrolls at PSU or a co-admit partner institution. Co-admits are not required to matriculate to PSU during fall term to remain eligible.
- Once co-admitted students matriculate to PSU, co-enrollment hours at partner institutions cannot be used to satisfy the requirement for full time enrollment in any term.
- Carpe Mundi students may be eligible for TFF if they meet all eligibility requirements.
- Have a 2.5 cumulative, transferable GPA
- GPA takes into account the total number of transferable credits from all regionally accredited colleges and universities. PSU Admission applies the university’s Repeat Policy principles when calculating an applicant’s transferable GPA. Credits earned as a non-degree student at PSU do not count toward a student’s transferable GPA.
- Students are required to submit final official transcripts by August 1 for all courses taken through the spring term preceding their enrollment at Portland State.
- Applicants who have attended an accredited post-secondary institution that does not confer traditional letter grades may not be eligible for TFF. To appeal, students must request communication be sent directly from their Office of the Registrar to email@example.com stating an official, cumulative GPA. Transcripts containing “keys” to calculate an official GPA are insufficient; the conferring institution must communicate a student’s official GPA directly to PSU. It is the applicant’s responsibility to request this communication. Portland State’s Office of Admission will review all submitted coursework and notify students whether their previous coursework precludes them from TFF consideration.
- Eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Students who have exhausted their Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU), or reached 600% Pell Grant LEU, prior to matriculation are not eligible for TFF. Students can log in to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) using their FSA ID to view their LEU. LEU is found in the Financial Aid Review. More information about Pell Grant LEU may be found on the Federal Student Aid website. TFF students who exhaust their Pell Grant LEU while enrolled full-time at PSU will receive institutional aid to offset the cost of standard tuition and fees through the end of the regular academic year (fall, winter and spring terms) during which they exhaust Pell Grant LEU. Students must maintain full time enrollment through the end of the regular academic year. TFF will not be renewed in following academic years after Pell Grant LEU is exhausted.
- Enroll full-time at PSU (12 to 15 credits per term), including online academic programs
- Summer enrollment is not included in this program.
- Part-time students are not eligible to receive Transfers Finish Free and must submit a Revision Request Form to Financial Aid if they are interested in enrolling full-time.
Eligible applicants are automatically considered for, and awarded, Transfers Finish Free after being admitted to the university. Students are notified of their award by email and/or in their financial aid award. Initial awarding is based on information and documentation provided by the student in the admission process, receipt of the award is based on submission of final financial aid and academic documents.
Accepting and Receiving Transfers Finish Free
Transfers Finish Free eligibility is finalized based on documentation submitted to Financial and Admissions by the August 1 deadline. In order to receive Transfers Finish Free students must do the following could risk forfeiture of Transfers Finish Free but may not affect admission to Portland State:
- Remain eligible for Transfers Finish Free between initial awarding and submission of final required documentation
- Submit any outstanding financial aid documents and academic records by August 1
- Accept all federal and state grants and scholarships by August 1
- Submit the FAFSA to PSU by August 1
- Submit tuition deposit or enrollment confirmation form to PSU no later than August 1
Maintaining Transfers Finish Free
Once enrolled, students must:
- Maintain status as an Oregon resident and undergraduate student
- Complete the FAFSA each year by February 1 to renew eligibility for the following school year
- Remain eligible for, and receive, federal Pell Grant funds each year
- Students must have less than 600% Pell Grant LEU to maintain Transfers Finish Free. More information about Pell grant funding may be found on the Department of Education website.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 for overall attempted credits and continue to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
- If a student fails to meet SAP, they will retain the ability to qualify for TFF in succeeding terms during which they satisfy SAP requirements, however, the 4-year renewal period will not be extended.
- Enroll full time (12 or more PSU undergraduate credits, courses numbered 100-499) each standard academic term (fall, winter, spring)
- Students who enroll in less than 12 credits prior to census date (end of week 4 during an academic term) will lose TFF eligibility for that term and will have their institutional aid adjusted accordingly based on the total number of credits attempted. Students retain the ability to qualify for TFF in succeeding terms during which they enroll full time.
- Once students matriculate to PSU, co-enrollment credit hours from other institutions may not be used to satisfy the requirement to enroll full time each term.
- If circumstances require an enrolled student to be away from PSU for a term or more, and they have previously maintained PSU’s Satisfactory Academic Progress, they will retain their eligibility to receive TFF funds upon re-enrollment. Students must still meet all TFF eligibility requirements, however, the 4-year renewal period will not be extended.
- Keep address current and updated in their student account (Banweb)