Bachelor of Science

PSU students at the Park Blocks

The Bachelor of Science in Computer Science is the first university degree in the field and may take at least four years of full-time work to complete. Students may enter the program directly from high school, after preliminary coursework in a two-year community college program, or after they have work experience in the field without a college degree. The department makes every effort to place students in courses appropriate to their actual level of knowledge.

Note that these courses reflect the requirements for the most recent catalog. For earlier catalogs and inquiries regarding degree requirements, please consult with an Advisor for more information.

Non-CS Course Requirements

Courses taken outside the department must be graded C- or better. 

  • COMM 220 Public Speaking (4)*
  • WR 227 Technical Writing (4)
  • MTH 251 Calculus I (4)
  • MTH 252 Calculus II (4)
  • MTH 253 Calculus III or MTH 261 Intro. to Linear Algebra (4)
  • ECE 341 Computer Hardware (4)
  • Approved Lab Science Sequence (15)**
  • Approved Science Elective (4)**
  • Approved Mathematics Electives (7)**

*Waived for students who have taken Freshman Inquiry

**View Approved Electives and Sequences

University Requirements

The General Education requirements for CS students can be met in one of two ways.

  • Students who complete their entire program at PSU meet the requirement by taking 39 credits of University Studies and the Computer Science Capstone. Students transferring from community colleges having co-admission agreements with PSU (currently Clackamas Community College, Mount Hood Community College, and Portland Community College) may follow this path. 
  • Transfer students must have a minimum of 39 credits as a combination of University Studies courses and Liberal Arts / Social Science transfer credits. 12 of these credits must be upper division cluster courses taken at PSU.

Course Prerequisites

Before enrolling in any Computer Science course, students should read the course description and ensure that they have completed all prerequisites with a grade of C or better. Students who have not met this requirement may be administratively dropped from the course. View the prerequisites for each required CS course. An arrow points to the courses that require the prerequisite.

CS Upper Division Electives

  • Registration for 300-level and 400-level CS courses require admission to the CS Upper Division program.
  • CS Upper Division electives can be any 300-level and 400-level CS courses including CS 410 and/or ECE 455, ECE 456, ECE 485, and ECE 486.
  • One Upper Division elective must be a Programming intensive course (noted by a P in the university schedule).
  • A maximum of 4 credits may count from CS 309, CS 401, CS 405, CS 406, CS 407, and CS 409.
  • CS 404 and any courses specifically described as not being applicable to the CS degree may not be used. 
  • 44 of the 52 Upper Division CS credits must be taken at PSU after admission to the CS Program. 


Postbac students working toward a second bachelor's degree must satisfy all required CS and Non-CS courses listed above, but are not required to take free electives or to satisfy the general University requirements. Courses taken for the first undergraduate degree may be used to satisfy these requirements, provided the student takes at least 45 credits at PSU. For example, a student with an undergraduate degree in physics or electrical engineering will have likely satisfied most or all of the science and math requirements while one with a major in literature or fine arts will likely need to take more courses to earn the CS degree.

Sample Possible 4-year Schedule

The sample schedule is called the "blue sheet" because it is customarily printed on blue paper. Click the links to see the blue sheet of the corresponding years.

Graduation Procedure

Students must apply two terms prior to their expected date of completion. The online graduation application is available on Banweb. Details and specific deadlines for degree applications are published on the Office of Registrar page.