The Sponsored Projects Administration (SPA) unit within Research and Graduate Studies (RGS) serves as the central administrative unit at PSU responsible for assisting faculty and staff with activities related to the lifecycle of sponsored project administration. SPA staff provides administrative expertise and professional support to faculty and staff from proposal development and submission, through award negotiation and acceptance on behalf of the University, to award management and closeout.
Proposals for external funding must be reviewed and approved by an Authorized Organizational Representative (AOR) who has the authority to sign and submit grant applications on behalf of PSU. SPA staff are PSU's designated AORs.
Proposal Submission & Response
It is important to notify SPA that a proposal is in progress so that review and approval can be completed in time to meet sponsor deadlines. Once a proposal has been reviewed, SPA receives formal notification of sponsor acceptance or rejection.
Award Acceptance & Setup
“Award” is a generic term applied to all external funding provided to the University for sponsored activity the acceptance of which represents a formal obligation by the University.
Once accepted, awards are routed for setup in the Banner Financial Information System (FIS) to capture, track, and report expenses. Award management is contingent on the ability of the principal investigator/project director to carry out the project and the ability of PSU's stewardship.
Resources to identify funding sources from local, state, federal, and foundation sources.
Proposal Development and Submission
- All Principal Investigators (PIs) should continue to complete and submit the Notification of Intent to Submit Google Form to indicate their intention to develop a proposal. PIs will need to do this at least 3 weeks (15 working days prior to the submission deadline date for SPA. This is an extension of the previous 2-week requirement. For exceptional opportunities, faculty may submit an Exception Request form.
- Internal deadlines for proposal materials have been instituted to help manage workload and workflow and to align our procedures with those of other research Universities.
- The penultimate budget, budget justification, and proposal narrative must be submitted to SPA staff five (5) working days prior to the deadline.
- Final approved documents must be submitted to SPA staff two (2) working days before the deadline.
Awards Management and Administration
- Award acceptance/negotiation will be prioritized as follows:
- Awards and agreements with Sponsor deadlines
- Agreements effective upon signature
- Federal awards with full F&A
- Initial agreements by receipt date (by Officers); Initial Awards by receipt date (by Analysts)
- Funded modifications by receipt date
- Non-funded modifications by receipt date
- Budget projections and analysis support from SPA staff will be limited to projects within three months of the project end date; investigators should regularly monitor project budgets and can use the Cognos monthly reports provided by SPA to assist with managing the finances of their sponsored projects.
- SPA may seek extensions from sponsors for certain invoices or financial reports
- Response and processing times will be longer than usual
- SPA's ability to accommodate 'urgent' requests will be limited; please plan ahead to the extent possible.