STEM Extension of OPT
The STEM Extension of OPT is a benefit to allow students who have earned a degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics field to extend a period of approved post-completion OPT for 24 months. Students may request a STEM Extension of their 12-month OPT two times in their lifetime; it is not possible to request a STEM Extension of pre-completion OPT, as a separate benefit, or to further extend a STEM Extension. Review the STEM OPT Hub for more information to help school officials, F-1 students, and employers understand the regulations.
You are eligible to apply for the STEM Extension if you meet the following conditions:
- You are currently in an approved period of post-completion OPT
- You earned a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree in a designated STEM field
- You are employed by an employer who is registered and in good standing with E-Verify
STEM OPT Tutorial
Please review our online tutorial if you are interested in applying for the OPT STEM extension. The tutorial is a helpful guide and will provide answers to many of your questions!
- Gather the materials on the STEM OPT Checklist
- Submit materials to ISSS for review (See "ISSS Remote Procedure")
- Receive I-20 from ISSS with STEM OPT recommendation
- Submit application to USCIS