Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is work authorization which allows an international student to gain practical experience off campus usually in the form of an internship, co-op education, or practicum that earns credit toward your degree completion prior to graduation.

CPT Eligibility

To be eligible for CPT you must:

  • Have completed at least one year of full-time study (3 consecutive terms, or approximately 9 months)
  • Have F-1 visa status at the time you apply
  • Be enrolled full-time, if your CPT happens during a regular academic term
Student relaxing on rec center patio

CPT Tutorial

Please review our online tutorial if you are interested in applying for CPT. The tutorial is a helpful guide and will provide answers to many of your questions!  

CPT Application Procedure

  1. Log in to WorldLink
  2. Select Employment & Training Services > CPT Information & Request
  3. Pass the CPT Information Quiz in WorldLink
  4. Submit a CPT Authorization Request in WorldLink
  5. Receive new I-20 from ISSS with CPT authorization 

When you submit your CPT Authorization Request, you will be required to show an offer letter for the job/internship which includes the following information:

  • Job title
  • Description of duties
  • Start date
  • End date (or duration)
  • Physical address where you will work

Unless you have already been issued a Social Security Number, you will need to apply for one before starting work. You will use the new CPT I-20 to apply for your Social Security Number.