Fields of Expertise:
early modern and modern Middle East
social and cultural history
"Imperial Crisis and Muslim-Christian Relations in Ottoman Syria and Palestine c. 1770-1830," The Journal of the Economic and Social History of the Orient 58 (2015), 490-531.
Twilight of the Saints: Everyday Religion in Ottoman Syria and Palestine. 2014. Oxford University Press.
“The Legend of the Samarmar: Parades and Communal Identity in Syrian Towns, c. 1500-1800," Past and Present 204 (2009), 89-125.
Everyday Life and Consumer Culture in Eighteenth-Century Damascus, University of Washington Press, 2007.
"Smoking and 'Early Modern Sociability:' the Great Tobacco Debate in the Ottoman Middle East (17th-18th Centuries)," American Historical Review 111 (December 2006), 1352-77.
- Fuat Köprülü Prize for Best Book in Ottoman and Turkish Studies; presented in 2015 by the Ottoman and Turkish Studies Association for Twilight of the Saints.
- Co-Winner of the Biennial Prize for Best Book in Syrian Studies; presented in 2015 by the Syrian Studies Association for Twilight of the Saints.
- HST 300: Historic Imagination
- HST 385: Late Imperial Middle East (1700-1914)
- HST 390 Early Modern World
- HON 407: Popular Religion in the Early Modern World
- HST 485/585: Ottoman World
- HST 490/590: Comparative World History: Islam and Modernity