Fields of Expertise:
U.S. cultural and political history, esp. 20th century and populist expression
Two on the Aisle: A Judaic American Tale of Romance and Creative Dreams (David A. Horowitz, 2018).
Getting There: An American Cultural Odyssey (Inkwater Press, 2015)
The People's Voice: A Populist Cultural History of Modern America (Sloan Publishing, 2008).
(co-author with Peter N. Carroll),On the Edge: The United States in the Twentieth Century,
3rd ed. (Cengage Learning, 2005).
America's Political Class Under Fire: The Twentieth Century's Great Culture War (Routledge, 2003).
editor and annotator, Inside the Klavern: The Secret History of a 1920s Ku Klux Klan
(Southern Illinois University Press, 1999).
Beyond Left and Right: Insurgency and the Establishment (University of Illinois Press, 1997).
“Demagogues of the Depression,” The Oxford History of the New Deal, forthcoming
“Anti-statism,” The Concise Princeton Encyclopedia of American Political History (2011)
“Discovering People’s Art in Oregon,” in Matt Love, ed., Citadel of the Spirit: Oregon’s
Sesquicentennial Anthology (Nestucca Spit Press, 2009).
“Conservative Politicians Encourage Resentment Against Liberal Policy Makers,” in Mitchell
Young, ed., Culture Wars: Opposing Viewpoints (Greenhaven Press, 2008)
“The Sicuro File: A Personal Perspective on the Struggle over Portland State University’s Most
Controversial President,” Oregon Historical Quarterly 112, no. 2 (Summer 2011): 194-217
“The New Deal and People’s Art: Market Planners and Radical Artists,” Oregon Historical Quarterly
109 (Summer 2008): 318-28
“Is There a Viable Populist Cultural History of the United States?” Historically Speaking (May/June 2008): 41-43
“The Normality of Extremism: The Ku Klux Klan Revisited,” Society 3 (September-October 1998): 71-77
- HST 300, Historical Imagination
- HST 327U, US History, 1890-1932
- HST 328U, US History, 1932-1960
- HST 329U, US History, 1960-Present
- HST 429/529, Topics in US Cultural History: Roots of American Popular Culture, 1890-1945
- HST 429/529, Topics in US Cultural History: Recent American Popular Culture, 1945-2000
- HST 430/530, Roots of American Culture, 1600-1860
- HST 431/531, Roots of Corporate Culture, 1860-1945
- HST 432/532, Recent American Culture, 1945-Present
Univ. of Minnesota