If you don't qualify for services from PSU SLS, or your legal matter is outside our scope, you may want to check out the following low-cost legal and self-help resources in Oregon:
General Legal Topics:
- Oregon State Bar Self-Help Resources
- Oregon State Bar Lawyer Referral Service and Modest Means Program - hotline for attorney referrals and low-cost consultations and application information for the Modest Means Program which connects qualifying individuals to reduced-rate attorneys
- Oregon Judicial Department - self-help forms and instructions
- Oregon Law Help - self-help forms and information
- Legal Aid Services of Oregon - low-cost legal assistance for low-income people
For more low-cost legal resources and self-help resources, see our listings by issue type below.
COVID-19 Tenant Protections
- Oregon Tenant Protections during COVID-19 explanation form Oregon Law Help. Includes video and text options.
- Oregon Tenant Protections during COVID-19 explanation from Community Alliance of Tenants.
COVID-19 Consumer Protections
- Federally Backed Mortgage Loan Lookup Tools:
- Price Gouging & Other Scams:
COVID-19 Employment Protections
- Oregon State Bar COVID-19 Employment Law FAQ
- State of Oregon Employment Department COVID-19 Page
- PSU Student Employees & COVID-19 FAQ
COVID-19 Resources for PSU Students & Community
Legal Resources by issue type
- United State Bankruptcy Court: District of Oregon - Information about filing for bankruptcy in Oregon.
- Oregon State Bar Association: Bankruptcy and Debt - Basic information about bankruptcy in Oregon.
- Legal Aid Services of Oregon: Bankruptcy Information - Information materials about bankruptcy provided by Legal Aid Services of Oregon (LASO) and OregonLawHelp.org. LASO also holds Pro Bono Bankruptcy Clinics. The Clinics provides advice and free representation by volunteer attorneys for low-incomeindividuals. To learn more, or make an appointment, call LASO at 503.224.4086.
- FTC.gov. This website by the Federal Trade Commission provides useful information about identity theft, as well as consumer credit reports and numerous other consumer issues.
- Dfr.oregon.gov. This website by the Oregon Insurance Division provides basic information about automobile insurance. Go to Insurance for Consumers.
- Doj.state.or.us. This website by the Oregon Department of Justice, Consumer Protection Division. Go to Consumer Protection and choose from the drop-down list of topics.
- www.donotcall.gov. This website by the Federal Trade Commission allows you to join the Do Not Call Registry to stop telephone calls from telemarketers.
- Oregon.gov. This website provides basic instructions to Oregon employers about wage garnishment. Go to Technical Assistance for Employers Garnishments.
- Oregon State Bar Lawyer Referral Service (503-684-3763 or 800-4525-7636). The Oregon State Bar may be able to refer you to an attorney for a low-cost consultation regarding a consumer issue.
- Metropolitan Public Defender - A nonprofit law firm which provides legal assistance to individuals with criminal matters. Also holds an expungement clinic periodically call for details). Has offices in Portland and Hillsboro.
- Portland State Women's Resource Center Interpersonal Violence Advocacy - Available to answer questions, develop safety plans, and serve as a liaison between victims of domestic violence and community resources.
- Portland Women's Crisis Line - 24-hour crisis line, as well as advocacy and education services.
- Domestic Violence Resource Center - Provides a 24-hour crisis line, shelter, and advocacy. Focused on Washington County, but serves residents of the State of Oregon. Se habla Español.
- Oregon Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence - A comprehensive map of shelters and services across the State of Oregon.
- Bradley Angle - 24-hour crisis line, transitional housing, support groups, and much more. Based in Portland.
- Clackamas Women's Services - Shelter, crisis line, and much more. Based in Clackamas County.
- State of Oregon Probate and Estates - Free information about wills and trusts.
- Multnomah District Attorney's Office: Criminal Record Expunction - Online resource designed to assist individuals with assessment of their expungement eligibility, provides expungement forms, instructions, and a link to the statutes.
- Oregon Judicial Department - self help forms and instructions
- Oregon Law Help - self help forms and information
- Legal Aid Services of Oregon - low cost legal assistance for low income people
- St Andrews Legal Clinic - family law legal assistance on a sliding scale
- Oregon State Bar Lawyer Referral Service and Modest Means Program - hotline for attorney referrals and low cost consultations and application information for the Modest Means Program which connects qualifying individuals to reduced rate attorneys
- Oregon Department of Justice Division of Child Support
- Catholic Charities Immigration Legal Services - Provides immigration legal services to low income immigrants and refugees
- Immigration Counseling Services - A non-profit immigration law firm providing education and legal assistance.
- PSU SLS Renter's Rights Handbook
- Oregon Law Help, Tenant Specific Information
- Community Alliance of Tenants and Renters Rights hotline