Process Improvement Certificate Program
Process improvement methodologies take organizations to the next level by introducing efficiencies that use proven, traditional methods to address modern-day challenges — in any industry and any function.
In this program, students will learn the principles, methodologies, and tools that are essential to creating a culture of continuous, sustained improvement. Through expert instruction, hands-on activities, and completion of a process improvement project relevant to the individual’s workplace, students will learn how they can be the agents of sustainable change needed to increase efficiency, reduce waste, and maximize business value.
The instructors bring real-world experience with implementing process improvement initiatives in a range of industries, from the manufacturing floor all the way to government agencies. This program offers diverse professional perspectives across a wide spectrum of organizations, including hospitality, food and beverage, and healthcare — plus students will have professional guidance on how to use this information to directly impact their own organizations.
A valuable takeaway was meeting other like-minded professionals and not only learning class materials together, but learning from each other as well.
- Anita Havemann
Who Should Attend
This program is for individuals interested in learning the methodologies, tools, and mindset that are essential for improving processes, reducing waste, and creating sustainable, positive change.
What You’ll Learn
Upon completion of this program, students will have gained the knowledge to:
- Understand the fundamentals of process improvement;
- Apply appropriate process improvement tools and methodologies to different situations;
- Cultivate a mindset and culture to support sustainable change;
- Be familiar with common pitfalls of implementing process improvement initiatives.
6 Required Certificate Courses
Courses may be taken individually and in any order unless otherwise noted. If pursuing the certificate, all courses in the certificate program must be completed within three years. A recommended sequence is below.
Foundations of Process Improvement (4 required courses // 6 days total)
- SS499: Introduction to Process Improvement (2 days)
- Develop foundational knowledge about Lean and Whole Systems Thinking
- BE601: Leading Sustainable Change: Culture (1 day)
- Learn the key components needed to create a sustainable organizational culture of continuous improvement
- BE503: Problem Solving (2 days)
- Identify and understand problems, develop compelling solutions, and measure improvement
- BE813: Leading Sustainable Change: Daily Management (1 day)
- Learn to link organizational strategy to the daily improvements needed to make a culture of continuous improvement “stick”
Specialization in Process Improvement (Choose 1 elective course // 2 days each)
- SS513: Six Sigma Fundamentals (2 days)
- Delve into Six Sigma methodology, learn where popular tools fit into the Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, and Control (DMAIC) improvement model, and learn key criteria for successful implementation
- BE501: Lean Healthcare (2 days)
- Learn how Lean principles can be used to meet the unique challenges faced in the healthcare industry
- BE602: Visual Management (2 days)
- Learn to see workplace and materials through a visual lens and practice using visual management to achieve bottom-line results and a learning environment.
- BE603: Lean Business Processes (2 days)
- Learn how Lean principles can be applied in an office setting and in a variety of different business functions
Process Improvement in Practice (1 required course // 2 days)
- BE800: Process Improvement in Practice (2 days)
- Visit a local organization that has successfully implemented process improvement initiatives, undertake your own process improvement project, and receive expert coaching