Sabbatical Applications for AY 2021-22 are due to CLAS on January 29, 2021.
Please see below for full details.
CLAS SABBATICAL POLICY
Sabbaticals should be awarded where there are documented academic and scholarly plans for research or scholarship that will enhance the careers and scholarly productivity of the faculty members.
Sabbatical must be supported by the departmental chair or program director. The academic unit should demonstrate that the unit can maintain both curricular and budget stability during the period of the sabbatical and following.
The Dean’s Office will accept applications for sabbaticals of one term, two terms, or three terms.
Department chairs/directors will normally be ineligible for a sabbatical leave until the conclusion of their terms. Exceptional cases will be considered by the Dean in consultation with the Provost.
GUIDELINES FOR SABBATICAL LEAVE APPLICATIONS
To apply for a sabbatical, you will need to submit the Sabbatical Application Form, a statement of purpose, and CV in PSU format. Details for each are below.
Sabbatical Application Form
- Link to HR's Sabbatical Application Form
Statement of Purpose
Please use the CLAS Sabbatical Statement of Purpose form. This summary statement (1-2 typed, doubled-spaced pages) should discuss the proposed sabbatical leave activities and be informative both to other specialists in the applicant's discipline as well as to other literate readers. The statement should address:
- Objectives for the proposed leave and expected significance;
- Relation to longer-term goals of the applicant's professional career;
- Relation to the applicant's research and/or teaching assignments;
- A general plan of how the leave time will be spent;
- A description of any formal or informal study, experiments planned, lectures scheduled, teaching assignments contracted at other institutions, etc.;
- A description of any grants applied for or received to support the leave; and
- Concrete deliverables that will be later detailed in your sabbatical report.
Current Curriculum Vitae
Your curriculum vitae should follow the PSU CV template.
YOUR DEPARTMENT CHAIR'S STATEMENT OF SUPPORT
The statement to the Dean should include a curricular plan to cover the faculty member's classes during leave and the chair's signature. A template is available.
Use the following dates for all applications:
- Fall Term: 9/16/2021 to 12/15/2021
- Winter Term: 12/16/2021 to 3/15/2022
- Spring Term: 3/16/2022 to 6/15/2022
Article 30, Section 8 of the AAUP Collective Bargaining Agreement states:
Effective September 16, 2017, 9-month academic-ranked faculty members on approved sabbatical leave will be paid as follows while on leave:
- For a one-term sabbatical: 85% of base salary;
- For a two-term sabbatical: 80% of base salary; and
- For a three-term (one academic year) sabbatical: 75% of base salary.
Effective July 1, 2017, 12-month academic-ranked faculty members on approved sabbatical leave will be paid as follows while on leave:
- For a four-month sabbatical: 85% of base salary;
- For an eight-month sabbatical: 80% of base salary; and
- For a twelve-month sabbatical: 75% of base salary.
OTHER HELPFUL INFORMATION
- List dates of previous sabbatical leaves (mm/dd/yyyy to mm/dd/yyyy) or check "none," if applicable.
- Indicate the number of pages of attachments incorporated into this contract by reference.
SABBATICAL LEAVE REPORT
At the end of each sabbatical leave, or at the end of each term on a multiyear sabbatical leave, the recipient must submit a detailed Sabbatical Leave Report to the Department Chair for forwarding to the Dean; the Dean will forward it to the President.
This report should address each of the research or scholarly objective described in the initial sabbatical proposal. It is due no later than the fourth week of the term that the member returns from sabbatical leave.
Please contact Kris Fedor in the CLAS Dean's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
|December 1, 2020||Faculty notify CLAS and Department Chair of intent to apply for sabbatical for AY 21-22|
|January 29, 2021||Sabbatical applications packets due to CLAS|
|March 31, 2021||Approved sabbatical application packets due to HR|