When Should I Start to Think about Admissions?
As soon as you think social work may be your major contact our BSW Advisors and they can answer many of your questions.
When Do I Apply for Admission?
The BSW Program is a professional program and we accept students into the program once a year. We do not have “rolling admissions” or “open admission”. If you are currently a junior you may not assume you will get into the program and start in the fall term unless you have applied and have been accepted. You need to start planning in your sophomore year. It is recommended that you take SW 301U Introduction to Social Work before you apply so you can make sure this career choice is the best match with your interests, experience, and skills. You can download the application starting January 1 of each year.
Application Process and Due Dates
Applications may be obtained online starting January 1st for each fall term. Applications must be submitted or postmarked by March 1st.
- You must be admitted to Portland State University to apply;
- You must be “junior” status (90 credits) by the term you will be admitted;
- You must meet the 2 prerequisites (4 credits of 200 level PSY and 4 credits of 200 level SOC);
- You must complete and submit your application by due date posted.
2013 Application Materials
What does the Application entail?
- Completed Application
- Two (2) letters of reference from individuals who can address and discuss your work history and/or your volunteer experiences; do not have family members or friends complete this form
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Short essay about why you desire to become a social worker (see application information pages for specifics)