Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the RCSC located?

The RCSC is located on the fourth floor of the Smith Memorial Student Union in Suite 462. We are right across the hall from the Queer Resource Center. Our street address is 1825 SW Broadway.


How can I schedule an appointment to meet with someone? 

To schedule a one-on-one appointment you may contact us via phone at (503) 725.9878 or via email at sswc@pdx.edu. You are also welcome to just stop by when you are on campus, there is almost always someone available to talk with you.


What are my childcare options at PSU?

There are four childcare facilities owned and operated by PSU:

Helen Gordon provides PSU students, faculty, and staff with a high quality, full and part-day program for children six months to 5 years old.

The ASPSU Children’s Center provides PSU students, faculty and staff with high quality, short and long-hour childcare for children 4 months to nine years.

Please note that both Helen Gordon and the Children’s Center have waitlists for some ages that can be quite long.

Little Vikings and Baby Vikings Flexible Childcare Centers are our childcare centers under the umbrella of Services for Students with Children. Little Vikings provides hourly and reserved care for children ages 6 weeks to 12 years.  Visit our Childcare page to learn more about your childcare options. 


Do you offer any scholarships for students with children?

RCSC does not provide scholarships for students with children. However, in order to assist with childcare costs, we do have a financial assistance program to assist with up to 50% of the cost of childcare. Find out more about this resource at the link listed in the next question.


Can you help me pay for childcare? 

The Jim Sells Childcare Assistance Program provides childcare assistance in the form of subsidies to eligible students with children who could not otherwise afford the full cost of childcare.


Can You Recommend a Babysitter?

If you are a parent in need of a babysitter, please email sswc@pdx.edu and we will email your our list of babysitters. The RCSC is serving merely as a referral agency, and does not regulate, vet, or monitor childcare, so parents are encouraged to follow due diligence in vetting candidates. All babysitting arrangements will be negotiated between student and parent.


I am Interested in Working as a Babysitter. How do I get on the Babysitter List?

Follow the link to our Babysitting Form. Fill out this form if you would like to be added to our list of available babysitters.  The information that you allow us to use will be shared ONLY with parents in the PSU network (students, faculty, and staff) who request access to it. Those parents will then have the opportunity to contact you to request childcare, and you can then choose to accept or decline the babysitting job.


Does the RCSC offer any emergency assistance for families?

The Ron Ronacher Emergency Loan Program provides emergency financial assistance to eligible PSU student parents in the form of a no-interest loan once per term that can be used toward childcare, as well as a small bill, a tank of gas or in any other way to help a student make it to their next pay period.


I need help collecting child support. Who can I talk to? 

PSU Student Legal and Mediation Services can typically assist eligible students with most family law matters provided the opposing party is not a PSU student. For family law matters where both parties are PSU students, SLMS can provide mediation services.