Jim Sells Childcare Subsidy

About Us

The Jim Sells Childcare Subsidy provides childcare assistance in the form of a subsidy to eligible student families who could not otherwise afford the full cost of child care while attending Portland State University. Students with dependent children who are carrying 8 or more undergraduate or 5 or more graduate/postbac credits are eligible to apply. This program is open to students with children enrolled in either on or off campus childcare.For additional questions about the subsidy, or if you need assistance with the application make an appointment with one of our Jim Sells Subsidy Specialists.

The program can pay between 10- 50% of the cost of child care, depending on the student's financial need. Even if the deadline has passed, check and see if we still have funds available. Non-resident, international and undocumented students are welcome to apply.  If you have any questions, please stop by or give us a call on 503-725-9878.  Working students who are Oregon residents are encouraged to apply  for Employment Related Day Care Assistance or DHS Child Care Assistance. For More information on Employment Related Day Care (ERDC) CLICK HERE.

Additional Resources

Paying for Childcare can seem daunting - but there are a variety of both on and off campus resources available to you as a student parent. If you have any questions about these resources, please stop by our offices, send us an email or give us a call. We are available Monday-Friday,8am-5pm. Some additional resources include:

  • Child Care Access Means Parents In School (CCAMPIS) This grant helps pay a percentage towards on-campus childcare at Helen Gordon Child Development Center. You must have a child enrolled at Helen Gordon to be eligible..
  • Oregon DHS: Child Care The Employment Related Day Care program (ERDC) helps eligible low-income working families pay for child care.
  • Oregon Student Child Care Grant Assist parents enrolled in post-secondary education obtain safe, dependable care that supports their children’s development while allowing completion of the parent’s academic programs