PSU Alert: Emergency Notification System
PSU Alert is a robust, multimodal mass notification system used to send emergency alerts to the campus community. The need to activate all or part of the PSU Alert emergency notification system is often time-sensitive and based on the nature of the incident. In accordance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act, which calls for institutions to have capabilities to notify the campus community of significant emergencies, once the situation has been confirmed as an imminent threat to health and safety or the need for broad communication is identified, a PSU Alert message can be sent to appropriate groups using a variety of modes.
It is important to understand that no single mode has the capability to reach 100% of the PSU community. An effective and reliable notification system utilizes many redundant modes. Based on the incident, campus first responders (and, if time allows, in coordination with the Incident Management Team) will determine the appropriate message content and modes for dissemination.
Update your PSU Alert subscriptions
To update your PSU Alert preference, follow these steps:
- Log in to Banweb with your Odin username and password.
- Select My Account.
- Select PSU Alert Emergency Notifications.
- Fill in or update your information.
- Save your preferences.
Note: All @pdx.edu email addresses are automatically enrolled and can not be removed.
If you are unable to log in, go to oam.pdx.edu or call the OIT Helpdesk (503-725-HELP) to reset your password. A current Odin account is required to signup for PSU Alert.
A PSU Alert message can be sent via some or all of the following modes:
- Email (from email@example.com)
- Text message (from: 231-77 or 630-79)
- Phone call (from: 503-725-5911)
- Social Media (Facebook and Twitter)
- RSS (Real Simple Syndication)
- PSU Mobile App (m/pdx.edu)
- PSU Website (www.pdx.edu)
- Call-in line (503-725-3000)
- Broadcast voicemail to PSU Phones
- Flash Alert
Examples of emergency situations
PSU Alert is used for a variety of emergency situations, that may include (but are not limited to):
- Unscheduled campus closures
- Building emergencies
- Potential life-threatening situations on campus
- Inclement weather conditions
Important next steps
- Add the PSU Alert contact information into your contact list so that you will know when you are receiving an official message
- PSU Alert text messages will come from: 231-77 or 630-79
- PSU Alert emails will come from: PSUALERT@pdx.edu
- PSU Alert phone calls will come from: 503-725-5911
- Take steps at home, at work, and at school to prepare for emergencies by making a personal emergency plan and emergency kit.
Past tests of the PSU Alert system
- October 18, 2018
- June 6, 2018
- October 19, 2017
- June 5, 2017
- October 20, 2016