School of Film Laptop Requirement
Film Program Laptop Requirement
For students majoring in Film who plan to take the production courses listed below, we require that you own a laptop computer that meets these hardware and software specifications.
- FILM 132 Introduction to Digital Filmmaking (4)
- FILM 257 Narrative Film Production I (4)
- FILM 258 Documentary Film Production I (4)
- FILM 358 Narrative Film Production II (4)
- FILM 359 Narrative Film Production III (4)
- FILM 360 Topics in Film Production (4) *Most FILM 360 Topics require a laptop
- FILM 361 Documentary Film Production II (4)
- FILM 362 Documentary Film Production III (4)
- FILM 363 Topics in Experimental Film (4)
- FILM 364 Sound Production and Design (4)
- FILM 365 Editing (4)
- FILM 366 Digital Cinematography (4)
- FILM 450 Portfolio and Professional Development (4)
- FILM 451 Advanced Production Workshop (4)
- FILM 460 Advanced Topics in Production (4)
We strongly recommend that students own a Macintosh laptop running the most recent OS. This insures a level of compatibility with the resources available in the school and prepares you for a future in Mac-centric work environments.
- CPU: 2.8 GHz dual core (Core i5 or equivalent)
- MEMORY: 16 GB RAM
- 8 GB of available hard-disk space for Adobe CC installation
- 1280x800 display (1920x1080 or larger recommended)
- Sound card compatible with Apple Core Audio
- Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650
- Optional: Adobe-recommended GPU card for GPU-accelerated performance
Internet connection and registration are necessary for Adobe CC required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.
The Adobe Creative Cloud (ACC) subscription program offers a package that allows students to subscribe to software on a month-by-month basis at a discounted rate while in courses that make use of that software.
· Editing: Adobe Premiere Pro
· Sound Design: Adobe Audition
· Color Correction: Adobe SpeedGrade and Adobe After Effects
· Visual Effects and Graphics work: Adobe Photoshop and Adobe After Effects
External Hard Drive
We recommend the LaCie Rugged series, or an external hard drive with:
• Disk rotational speed: 7200 RPM
• Interface: USB 3.0 and/or FireWire 800 and/or Thunderbolt
• Capacity: at least 500 GBs, but more is better
An additional external drive or a subscription to cloud storage is recommended for back up of the external hard drive.
Purchasing Your Laptop
Your purchase of a laptop may be eligible for an extension of any student loans you receive through the PSU Financial Aid Office. Please contact the PSU Financial Aid Office at (503) 725-3461 or toll-free (800) 547-8887. The form required to extend your student loan is available online.
You should ensure that you have access to a laptop before registering for any production course that is 100 level or above, starting with FILM 132. Even if you currently own a desktop, you will still need a laptop to participate fully in the courses listed above.