Anyone can become an inventor when given the right tools. We aim to give more students these tools early in their education. Invention Bootcamp is a four-week, intensive educational experience for high school students from historically underserved and underrepresented populations that is led by PSU faculty, Dr. Gerald Recktenwald, and undergraduate engineering students.
Invention Bootcamp recognizes that students of color, women, low-income, and first-generation college students are historically underrepresented in STEM undergraduate programs. Invention Bootcamp is committed to reversing this trend and strongly encourages high school students from the above historically underserved and underrepresented backgrounds in STEM to apply. No prior experience is required in order to apply or participate.
You will learn basic skills to develop a prototype by completing class-wide projects and then apply those skills in creating your own invention! At the end of Invention Bootcamp, you will present your invention to the public in our grand finale.
- Create relationships with college students and program mentors
- Training in engineering software, computer programming, microcontrollers, and electrical circuits
- Training in common engineering tools
- Design and fabricate own invention
- Weekly guest speakers
- Onsite visits to business and maker spaces
2020 Camp Details
- 2020 camp has passed. Stay tuned for information about 2021 camp.
- Application Deadline: the deadline to apply for the 2020 camp has now passed. Stay tuned for details on how to apply for 2021!
- Personal Interviews: TBD (typically scheduled in March or early April)
- Notification of Acceptance: TBD (typically, May 1)
- The applications for the 2021 camp have not opened yet. Students who would like to apply should fill out an interest form to receive reminders for next year's application once we open it up to the public (in late fall).
- Applications available for both native Spanish speakers and native English speakers
- Revisions are allowed until the deadline
- Applications will be assessed based on a student's motivation, interest, and commitment
- Candidates who make it past the first round of applications will participate in an interview with Invention Bootcamp staff
Not Sure if Invention Bootcamp is right for you?
Find out what it's like! We asked 2019 Invention Bootcamp students what it was like going through the program. Check out the video to learn more about their experience!