Engineering Work Experience (EWX) Internship
Engineering Work Experience (EWX) is a structured internship program for undergraduate students in Electrical & Computer Engineering (ECE), Mechanical Engineering (MME) and Civil & Environmental Engineering (CEE).
- To provide high-performing students with opportunities to obtain work experience at engineering and technology companies in the Portland region during the summer before their senior year with an option to continue full- or part-time during their senior year.
- To provide local companies with an opportunity to work with some of the best PSU engineering students before graduation.
- To provide feedback to PSU on how to better prepare PSU engineering students for successful careers.
- 12/07/20 - Employer applications due
- 12/09/20 - Employers notified of admission status
- 1/1/21 - Employer position descriptions due
- 1/11/21 - Student applications due
- 1/22/21 - Student selection finalized
- 1/25/21 - Student final resumes available
- 2/05/21 - Interview day (MME/ ECE)
- 2/12/21 - Interview day (CEE)
- 2/26/21 - Student placement notification
If you have any questions or need more information, please contact Frank Goovaerts at email@example.com 503-725-2876
We use a careful selection process for admission to the program. Once admitted, students may receive training and participate in workshops. After a student is hired, they are monitored during their work experience to ensure the experience helps them learn about the practice of engineering and that companies are receiving valuable contributions from the students.
- Junior standing (undergrad, accepted to upper division)
- ECE: Enrolled in or have completed by spring term ECE 371, 321 or 331
- MME: Enrolled in or have completed by spring term ME313 Course plan: (ME 313, ME 314, ME 350 and ME 351). ME320 Course Plan: (ME 320, ME 321, ME 322 and ME 350)
- CEE: Enrolled in or have completed by spring term CE 315, CE 351, CE 324, CE 321, and CE 362
- ENVE: Enrolled in or have completed by spring term CE 315, CE 362, CE364 or CE 371
- Expected graduation date no earlier than December 2021
- International Students must be eligible to work in the United States, some other company restrictions may apply
Due Date: January 11, 2021
What you will need:
- Resume - single page PDF (Naming convention: RESUME.PDF - application tool will append your name). This is a generic resume as you are just applying to get to the interview portion of the program.
- Cover letter - explain why we should consider you for this type of internship, include discipline, student ID, overall GPA, and expected graduation date (Naming convention: COVER.PDF). Do not address to a specific employer.
Interview Selection & Dates
You will be notified if you have been selected to interview no later than January 22, 2021.
- MME/ECE Interviews: February 5, 2021
- CEE Interviews: February 12, 2021
Offers will be made no later than February 26, 2021 and you must reply to the offer within a week. Assumption is that you will accept the offer.
- Attend workshops (resume writing, interviews, job searching, networking)
- Consultation with Frank Goovaerts
- Attend interview day (7 February 2020, 14 February 2020 for CEE/ENVE students)
During the Internship
- Apply what you have learned in class, learn new things, and enjoy the challenges
- Represent yourself and PSU professionally
- Know when to ask for help
- Provide status to PSU upon conclusion of the internship -or- after 12 weeks, whatever comes first
At Internship Conclusion
- Participate in exit survey
- If you are accepted into MECOP, it does not make sense to apply to EWX
- Employers must have at least one open position to participate in the program, and must provide a position description by the deadline.
- The position must pay $20/h or more, be for 12 weeks in duration or more, and include at least 30 h/week of work during the summer.
- An employer representative with authority to make a hiring decision must attend the interviews for each position, and up to two representatives may attend the interview.
- The employer must make offers to the students within 2 weeks of the interview day. If interviewed students are not sufficiently qualified, the employer may choose not to fill the position.
- The employer also has no obligation to continue offering employment after the summer.
- Employers are expected to share information and feedback with PSU staff about offers made, student strengths/weaknesses, feedback during summer internship, and ideas about how to improve the program.
If you are interested to participate as an employer, visit this link to sign up. Employer applications are due December 7, 2020.
Employers will be notified if they are chosen to participate by December 9, 2020 and accepted employers are required to submit position descriptions by January 1, 2021.