Federal and State Law Requirements

Federal and state law requires that all students participating in an education abroad program be provided with sickness and accidental coverage during the specified program dates.  All students participating in a PSU-approved study or internship abroad program will be enrolled in coverage.

  • Students participating in a PSU Direct Exchange or Short-Term Faculty-Led programs will be enrolled by the PSU Education Abroad Office in international insurance provided by Gallagher.
  • Students participating in an IE3 internship will be enrolled in international insurance also provided by Gallagher but by IE3 Global Internships.
  • All other students will be enrolled in international health & accident insurance by their program provider (CIEE, USAC, etc.).

Additional and Extended International Coverage

We consider it the student's responsibility to review and understand their international & health coverage prior to departure.   It is strongly recommended that you review your coverage and determine if additional coverage is needed to meet your unique health concerns and/or insurance preferences.  Additionally, we encourage you to consider extending or purchasing additional coverage for any travel prior to or after your study experience.  You may also want to consider coverage for any dependents, family, or friends who might be traveling with you during your time abroad.

There are several international insurance providers, we recommend you investigate as many as possible.  A shortlist of providers is below.

CMI Insurance Specialists
CMI offers insurance products that can give you (and your parents!) real peace of mind: Health Insurance for U.S. Students Studying Abroad for individuals. The plan offers outstanding benefits, with some of the highest dollar limits you'll find in any policy of this type.

HTH Worldwide Insurance Services
HTH Worldwide specializes in providing health insurance to both international students studying in the USA and U.S. study abroad students.

Wallach & Company, Inc.
Wallach & Company specializes in providing medical insurance and 24-hour assistance for individuals traveling or living outside their home country.

International SOS
This website contains information about SOS services and SOS capabilities in many countries where they have offices, alarm centers, and clinics. You can find the contact details for any location on the respective Country Pages or at the Worldwide Network section.

Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Insurance Services             
Students enrolled in an insurance plan through Gallagher who wish to extend their travel may purchase supplemental coverage online


Domestic Insurance Coverage:

We highly recommend that you also consult your domestic coverage plan to understand if your current health insurance provides any overseas coverage.  Most international insurance companies provide secondary coverage and would consider your domestic coverage as primary.

If you are using PSU student insurance, we encourage you to investigate your coverage and if may be subject to interruption due to your international travel.  To learn more visit PSU's Student Health Insurance Plan Information.

International Health Insurance