Globalize Your Education
For Political Science majors, studying abroad is an excellent way to get valuable experience, set your resume apart, and fulfill degree requirements. Review the resources here to first help explore how an international experience could fit into your degree plan. Then, connect with your CUPA Undergraduate Advisor and your Education Abroad advisor to ensure you're choosing the best program to fit your goals. Your Education Abroad advisor can also help you explore ways to use financial aid, scholarships, and grants to finance your travel!
Why Study Abroad?
When you step out of a familiar environment and engage with another society, where cultural, political, and academic perspectives differ from the U.S., it can greatly enhance your perspective by placing domestic issues and experiences within an international context. It helps participants negotiate differences, listen to and learn from new viewpoints, and adapt to unfamiliar situations. The changed perspective students gain from studying abroad helps make them better informed global citizens, and they are often more competitive for employment, fellowships, and graduate school.
You can Afford to Study Abroad!
Receiving FAFSA? All subsidized & unsubsidized Stafford Loans will automatically work on your study abroad program!
Veteran? Use your Veterans Benefits to help cover the cost of your program fee!
Pell Grant Recipient? Not only can you use your Pell Grant, but you are also eligible for the Gilman Scholarship, worth up to $5,000!
Need Scholarships? The PSU Ed Abroad office offers scholarship workshops every term and has a multitude of resources online for students on a budget. Come meet with us so we can talk about awards ranging from $500 - $10,000.
Consider a full-time international internship, worth 12 credits, to set your resume apart when you graduate! Work with human rights NGOs, international relations firms, Scottish Parliament, sustainable and environmental policy think tanks, and more. These opportunities are open to Juniors and above.
What Programs Work Well For Political Science Majors?
The programs below not only offer a wide variety of political science courses, but also may offer courses to fulfill general education requirements, minor, certificate, or political science elective credit.
- CIEE Botswana: Arts and Sciences Program in Gaborone
- USAC Ghana: African Studies in Accra
- CIEE Senegal: Language and Culture Program in Dakar
- USAC South Africa: Stellenbosch University Undergraduate Courses
- CIEE China: Business, Language, and Culture Program in Shanghai
- USAC China: Chinese Language and Culture Studies in Chengdu
- USAC China: Chinese Language and International Business Studies in Shanghai
- CIEE India: Art and Sciences Program in Hyderabad
- USAC India: Health and Society in Bangalore
- SIT Study Abroad India: Sustainable Development and Social Change
- IE3 Global Japan: Akita, Akita International University
- IE3 Global Japan: Tokyo, Aoyama Gakuin University
- IE3 Global Japan: Tokyo, Waseda University
- PSU Exchange Japan: Kyoto, Doshisha University
- PSU Exchange Japan: Osaka, Kansai Gaidai University
- PSU Exchange Japan: Sapporo, HUSTEP Program
- USAC Japan: Japanese Language, Society and Culture Studies in Nagasaki
- IE3 Global South Korea: Seoul, Yonsei University
- PSU Exchange South Korea: Asan, Soonchunhyang University
- PSU Exchange South Korea: Seoul, Hanyang University
- PSU Exchange South Korea: Ulsan, University of Ulsan
- PSU Exchange Taiwan: Kaohsiung, National Sun Yat-Sen University
- Semester at Sea
- USAC Thailand: Southeast Asian Economics, Politics, and Culture Studies
- CIEE Belgium: Business and International Relations in Brussels
- USAC Czech Republic: Politics, Culture and Art Studies in Prague
- DIS Denmark: Study Abroad in Copenhagen
- CIEE England: London Global Institute
- GEO England: Politics in London - Summer
- IFSA England: University of Westminster
- USAC England: London Metropolitan University
- USAC England: University of Bristol
- CIEE France: Critical and Francophone Studies Program in Paris
- USAC France: French Language and European Studies in Pau
- USAC Germany: German Language, and German/European Studies in Lüneburg
- IE3 Global Germany: Baden-Wuerttemberg
- IE3 Global Ireland: Cork, University College Cork
- CIEE Ireland: Arts and Sciences Program in Dublin
- CIEE Hungary: Summer Central European Studies Program in Budapest
- PSU Direct Enroll Szeged, Hungary
- USAC Ireland: Irish Studies in Galway - Summer
- USAC Ireland: University College Cork
- CIEE Italy: Liberal Arts Program in Ferrera
- PSU Exchange Italy: Bologna, University of Bologna
- USAC Italy: Education, Communications, Health, and Italian Studies in Reggio Emilia
- USAC Italy: International Business, Architecture/Design/Art, and Italian Studies in Torino
- CIEE Portugal: Language and Culture Program in Lisbon
- CIEE Russia: Russian Area Studies Program in St. Petersburg
- CIEE Netherlands: Social Sciences and Humanities in Amsterdam
- USAC Norway: the University of Oslo Undergraduate and Graduate Courses
- IFSA Scotland: University of Edinburgh
- ALBA Spain Study Abroad in Barcelona
- CIEE Spain: Advanced Liberal Arts Program in Seville
- USAC Sweden: Linnaeus University Undergraduate and Graduate Courses in Växjö/Kalmar
- GEO Argentina: Spanish Language and Culture in Rosario
- IFSA Argentina-Mendoza Universities Program
- CIEE Brazil: Liberal Arts Program in Salvador da Bahia
- USAC Brazil: Brazilian Cultural Studies, Global Economy, and Natural Resource Management in Florianópolis
- CIEE Chile: Business and Culture Program in Santiago
- CIEE Chile: Liberal Arts Program in Valparaiso
- IFSA Costa Rica-Universidad Nacional
- USAC Costa Rica: Spanish Language, Ecological and Latin American Studies in Heredia
- USAC Cuba: Cuban History, Society, Politics, and Culture Studies in Havana
- CIEE Dominican Republic: Service-Learning Program in Santiago
- IE3 Global Ecuador: Quito, Universidad San Francisco de Quito (USFQ)
- IE3 Global Mexico: Queretaro, Universidad Autonoma de Queretaro
- IFSA Mexico-Mérida Universities Program
- SIT Study Abroad Peru: Indigenous Peoples and Globalization
- CIEE Australia: Arts and Sciences Program in Perth
- CIEE Australia: Arts and Sciences Program in Wollongong
- IE3 Global Australia: Melbourne, Deakin University
- USAC Australia: Griffith University Undergraduate Courses in Gold Coast or Brisbane
Don't see a program that works for you? Click here for the complete list of programs.
Ready to take the Next Step?
Attend an Ed Abroad 101 session to learn more about studying abroad at PSU. These are 30 minute sessions offered when classes are in session. They cover the application process and direct you to next steps.