Education Abroad for
Globalize Your Education
Communication majors are highly encouraged to study abroad. Participating in study abroad is an ideal way to add a global perspective to your COMM major through the first-hand experience living and studying in another country and culture. Studying abroad can also help you to understand the discipline of communication more deeply, and to cultivate critical reasoning and writing skills through a global lens.
Review the resources here to first explore how an international experience could fit into your degree plan. Then, connect with your Communication Undergraduate Advisor and your Education Abroad advisor to ensure you're choosing the best program to fit your goals. Your Education Abroad advisor can also help you explore ways to use financial aid, scholarships, and grants to finance your travel!
You can Afford to Study Abroad!
Receiving FAFSA? All subsidized & unsubsidized Stafford Loans will automatically work on your study abroad program! Veteran? Use your Veterans Benefits to help cover the cost of your program fee! Pell Grant Recipient? Not only can you use your Pell Grant, but you are also eligible for the Gilman Scholarship, worth up to $5,000! Need Scholarships? The PSU Ed Abroad office offers scholarship workshops every term and has a multitude of resources online for students on a budget. Come meet with us so we can talk about awards ranging from $500 - $10,000.
Short-Term Study Abroad in Germany, Summer 2021
Sports, Culture and the Media
Utilize Berlin as your classroom and examine how sports reflect contemporary society on various issues. Earn 4 credits toward your Communication Major or Minor over 2 weeks.
When Should I Study Abroad?
Fall: Requires some additional planning, but students are highly encouraged to complete the Reporting Live! Capstone in the fall and earn their required 6 capstone credits!
Winter: Very difficult time to study abroad for COMM majors
Spring: Very difficult time to study abroad for COMM majors
Summer: Best time to study abroad for COMM majors!
Which Education Abroad Programs Work Well for COMM Majors?
The programs below not only offer a wide variety of communication courses, but also may offer courses to fulfill general education requirements, minor, certificate, or communication elective credit. Students cannot earn COMM core credits abroad.
Remember, communication majors need 44 credits of electives within the Department of Communication. The programs listed below are excellent choices to fulfill this requirement. Review the Communication Major Requirements here.
COMM students are highly encouraged to participate in international internships and apply 4 credits towards their COMM degree. Internships vary from a few hours a week paired with COMM coursework, to full-time internships awarding 12 upper division elective credits.
- CIEE China: Intensive Chinese Language Program in Beijing
- CIEE Taiwan: Communication, Business, & Political Economy in Taipei
- IE3 Global Japan: Tokyo, Waseda University
- IE3 Global South Korea: Yonsei University in Seoul
- PSU Exchange Japan: Kyoto, Doshisha University
- PSU Exchange South Korea: Seoul, Hanyang University
- PSU Exchange Taiwan: Kaohsiung, National Sun Yat-Sen University
- USAC Thailand: Southeast Asian Economics, Politics, and Culture Studies
- ALBA Spain: Study Abroad in Barcelona
- CIEE Germany: Business and Culture Program in Berlin
- CIEE Belgium: Business and International Relations in Brussels
- CIEE Czech Republic: Communication, New Media, and Journalism Program in Prague
- DIS: Study Abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark
- GEO England: Journalism in London
- IE3 Global France: Lyon
- CIEE England: London Open Campus Program
- USAC England: University of Brighton Undergraduate Courses
- USAC England: University of Bristol Undergraduate Courses
- USAC England: University of Reading Undergraduate Courses
- USAC France: French Language and European Studies in Pau
- USAC Italy: Education, Communication, Health, and Italian Studies in Reggio Emilia
- USAC Netherlands: The Hague University of Applied Sciences Undergraduate Courses
- USAC Spain: Spanish Language, European Studies and Liberal Arts in Alicante
- USAC Sweden: Linnaeus University in Växjö or Kalmar
- CIEE Jordan: Arabic Language Program in Amman
- Rothberg International School Israel - Summer Program in Jerusalem
- PSU Exchange Egypt: The American University in Cairo
- CIEE Australia: Arts and Sciences Program in Perth
- IFSA New Zealand: University of Otago
- USAC Australia: Griffith University in Gold Coast or Brisbane
Don't see a program that works for you? Click here to search through the complete list of PSU Education Abroad options.
Ready to take the Next Step?
Attend an Ed Abroad 101 session to learn more about studying abroad at PSU. These are 30 minute sessions offered when classes are in session. They cover the application process and direct you to next steps.