CRC Programming at the Native American Student & Community Center
The Native American Student & Community Center (NASCC) is a gathering space to celebrate and empower student success through culturally relevant programming, academic support, and inter-generational community engagement to preserve and perpetuate inter-tribal connection for Native American/Alaskan Native/Pacific Islander students and our allies through tradition, ceremony, and storytelling. The NASCC is one of five Cultural Resource Centers at PSU and is a part of Diversity and Multicultural Student Services.
The NASCC features a standard classroom, two conference rooms, full-service kitchen, computer lab, a fireplace lounge, and an eco-roof garden. An aerial view of the NASCC reveals the salmon-shaped design of the building, with rooftop walkways and ramps designed to represent the fish’s scales and backside.
Completed in 2003, the NASCC would not have happened without the hard work and dedication of our Native American elders, community members, leaders, PSU alumni, staff, and faculty.
Every year the NASCC hosts an Honor Day graduation ceremony for participating Native American/Alaskan Native/Pacific Islander students completing degree requirements at Portland State University.
Four student groups are housed at the NASCC:
- PIC: Pacific Islanders Club
- UISHE: United Indians Students in Higher Education
- AISES: American Indian Science and Engineering Society (Student Chapter)
- Healing Feathers
Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday
9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed on weekends and when the university is closed. Hours Vary When Classes are Not in Session
We seek to collaborate with students, community partners, university units, and student organizations. To learn more, please visit Reservations/Collaborations.
OUR COLLECTIVE AGREEMENT
- PSU students are at the center of our work
- Community growth depends on the inclusion of every individual voice
- We respect others and ourselves
- Our goal is not to agree, but rather, to gain deeper understanding
- No alcohol or drugs on the premises or in the body
- We do not tolerate hate speech, derogatory language/actions, or oppressive language/actions
- We reserve the right to refuse service if the collective agreement is not met or upheld
Cultural Resource Centers,
Portland State University
PO Box 751
Portland, OR 97201
Native American Student and Community Center Program Coordinator: Yolonda Salguiero, email@example.com, (503) 725-9701
Any donation, big or small is a very thoughtful gift, you can donate to any of the following programs:
- Native American Honor Day
- Native American Student and Community Center Programs
- NASCC Emergency Fund
- NASCC Scholarship Fund
There are two accessible entrances to the Smith Memorial Student Union - on the North and East sides of the building. Please see the Smith ADA Access PDF for more information.
We do our best to create events with accessibility in mind. However, if you feel you may need additional accessibility or support in order to fully enjoy any of our programs, please let us know! You may also contact the Disability Resource Center. While Service Animals are always welcome, the Cultural Resource Centers does not allow pets in our spaces.