Graduate Degrees - Application Process
For applicants who are applying to start in the Fall quarter and wish to receive priority consideration for funding as Graduate Research or Teaching Assistants the deadline is:
- Priority Fall - First Monday of January
For all other applicants, the deadlines are:
- Fall - April 1
- Winter - September 1*
- Spring - November 1
Please note: A new PSU University Application system will be launching on September 1, 2015. To avoid any inconvenience associated with this transition, we recommend that Winter 2016 applicants submit the university application and pay the application fee by August 31.
Please note: PSU's graduate application process will be changing on September 1, 2015. Please check back at that time for updated information.
STEP 1: Complete the PSU University Application
- Complete the online PSU Application for Admission
- Mail one official transcript, in its unopened envelope, from each post-secondary institution attended (PSU transcript not reqired) to Admissions at this address:
Portland State University
PO Box 751
Portland, OR 97207-0751
Official transcripts must be submitted from all U.S. colleges and universities you've attended in order for your application to be evaluated for admission. Portland State can use unofficial transcripts from international institutions to evaluate your application for admission, however, you will be required to submit official documents before the end of your first term of enrollment. Failure to provide official documents may result in processing delays and registration holds. Please see PSU's Official Records Policy for more information.
The application requires a $65.00 non-refundable application fee (do not send cash). The fee is good for one year.
For international students
- If your native language is not English and you do not have a U.S. degree, you will be required to show that you have met PSU's English language proficiency requirement.
- Additional information and requirements for international students can be found on the International Admissions website.
STEP 2: Complete the CEE Department Application
- Complete the online Departmental application.
- You will be required to create an account before filling out the application. Please also review the “Account Directions & Information” before filling out the application.
- As part of the online application you will be required to provide:
- Your degree option (MEng, MS - Project, MS - Thesis, or PhD)
- Your selected concentration area (Structural, Transportation, Geotechnical, Environmental / Water Resources)
- An adviser preference (PhD only). Since the Ph.D. student must have a supervising adviser for admittance, all prospective Ph.D. students must contact one of the faculty members in their research area of interest prior to submitting their Ph.D. application. Please note that the Ph.D. program is offered only in the Structural, Transportation, and Environmental / Water Resources concentration areas.
- An unofficial transcript from each post-secondary institution attended (please note that you must submit official transcripts to PSU Admissions).
- A Statement of Purpose describing your long term career goals and why you are applying to the graduate program. You should clearly describe your research interests and strengths. This is an important statement. Limited to no more than one page.
- A current resume or curriculum vitae.
- The email addresses of three (3) people who will provide letters of recommendation for you. Select these carefully. At least one reference should be a faculty member who is familiar with your academic performance.
- Please note: your recommenders will each receive a recommendation request via email. You will be able to check the status of your letters of recommendation, send reminder emails to recommenders, and send requests to new recommenders by logging in to your online account and selecting "Review Your Activity." It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that letters of recommendation are submitted on time.
- GRE scores (mandatory for international students, strongly recommended for students with a degree granted from a university in the United States). In addition to entering on application, please have official scores sent directly to us from ETS using the following codes:
- PSU School Code: 4610
- CEE Department Code: 1102
Failure to supply complete and accurate information will subject a student to the University’s policies governing academic dishonesty. Incomplete applications will not be considered.