Orientation is an essential first step for beginning your courses at Portland State University. These mandatory sessions are offered each term and are designed specifically to help freshmen and transfer students receive academic advising and register for their first term at PSU. Orientation is not the same as other events planned by Admissions (e.g., Preview Day, Viking Visitation, Transfer Open House).
At Orientation you will:
- Learn about PSU's curriculum
- Learn about campus resources
- Meet with current PSU students and other new students
- Receive essential materials (including Student Handbook & Academic Planner)
- Meet with academic advisers and departmental faculty
- Register for your first term's courses
Advisers are available at each session to ensure that the courses for which you register correspond to your academic, personal, and career goals. Please review the pre-Orientation advice and information about placement in math/statistics, chemistry, writing, and foreign language courses prior to attending your Orientation.