Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Music & Bachelor of Fine Arts
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)-28 total credits (may be more depending on foreign language placement).
- 12 credits in Arts & Letters (4 of these credits must be in Fine & Performing Arts)
- 4 credits in Sciences/Math (excluding Math 100 or lower)
- 8 credits in Social Sciences/Sciences/Math (excluding Math 100 or lower)
- 4 credits1 in Foreign Language level 203 or higher (for students with no prior language training, this will require completion of 101-103 and 201-203 in same language.)
1Students who are proficient in another language and who are waived the 4 credits of Foreign Language through a non-credit exam or TOEFL score must make up these 4 credits in the Arts & Letters distribution area (i.e., will need 16 credits in Arts & Letters, of which 4 must be in Fine & Performing Arts) in order to earn the 28 total credits required.
More information about the BA Foreign Language requirement can be found on the World Languages & Literatures website.
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)-28 total credits
- 12 credits in Sciences (not including Math/Statistics; 8 of the 12 credits must be coursework with a lab or fieldwork)
- 12 credits in Arts & Letters/Social Sciences
- 4 credits in college-level Math/Statistics (excluding Math 100 or lower)
Bachelor of Music (B.M.)
- Students must complete a program of music and applied music as prescribed by the Music Department.
Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.)
- Students must complete an art program as prescribed by the Art Department.
*Students completing a BS, BM or BFA who have not met the Second Language Admission requirement will also need to satisfy this requirement prior to graduation. Please see the World Languages & Literatures website for information how to satisfy the requirement.
With most majors you may select either the B.A. or the B.S. degree. However, there are a few exceptions to this rule. For example, Applied Linguistics, English, International Studies, Judaic Studies and World Languages majors may only earn a Bachelor of Arts degree, while Engineering and Computer Science majors may only earn a Bachelor of Science. Only music majors may select the Bachelor of Music and only Art Practices majors can select the Bachelor of Fine Arts. Both require selective admission to the major via audition or portfolio. Please check with the appropriate academic adviser regarding options in your intended major.
Students may receive two different baccalaureate degrees in two majors at the same time (e.g., BA in English and BS in Environmental Science) by completing the following requirements:
- meet the requirements in the specific degree (BA, BS, BFA, BM, BFA), the general education requirements AND each major's requirements;
- earn 36 credits beyond the 180 minimum required for a single baccalaureate degree (i.e., 216 credits total); and
- meet the PSU residence credit requirement by completing 45 of the last 60 or 165 of the total 216 at PSU.
Academic Distribution Areas for Bachelor's Degree Requirements
Arts and Letters
American Sign Language, Applied Linguistics, Architecture*, Art*, Arts & Letters, Black Studies (221, 351-3, 421, 424-427 only), Communication, Conflict Resolution, Dance*, English/Writing, Film*, Fine & Performing Arts*, Foreign Languages, Humanities, Music*, Philosophy, Speech & Hearing Sciences, Theater Arts*
Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science/Studies, Geology, Physics, Science Education (SCI)
Criminology & Criminal Justice (220 & 330 only), Anthropology, Black Studies (except 221, 351-3, 421, 424-427), Chicano/Latino Studies, Child & Family Studies, Economics, Geography, History, International Studies, Native American Studies, Political Science, Psychology, Social Science, Sociology, Urban Studies & Planning, Women's Studies
1Math/Statistics can be used to meet the Science requirement for the BA only, not the BS. The BS has a separate Math requirement.