Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The Department of Philosophy commits to upholding and promoting the core values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We understand diversity to concern (without being limited to): socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, nationality or place of origin, disability, unusual work or life experience, etc.
We understand equity to entail both equal, non-discriminatory access to education and, where needed, remedial efforts to address the effects of past discrimination.
We understand inclusion to mean the cultivation of an environment in which people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives are welcomed and enjoy full participation in the community of philosophical inquiry.
Our department seeks to make philosophy a diverse, equitable, and inclusive discipline. We understand the value that diverse perspectives bring to philosophical inquiry, and that the continuing relevance of undergraduate education in philosophy depends upon more equitable treatment and greater inclusion of under-represented groups among faculty and students alike. As an undergraduate program, we play an important role in bringing philosophical understanding to an increasingly diverse larger community. Our goal is to realize these values and commitments in our instruction and advising, and in the overall environment that faculty and students share. In order to realize this goal, the department will continue its commitment to:
- encourage a full range of students with diverse backgrounds
- participate in diversity institutes and initiatives on campus and in the profession
- engage in diversity outreach
- provide academic assistance and advising which reflects the diverse needs of a diverse population
- strive for a curriculum that illustrates that a diverse group of people have contributed in the past, and should contribute in the future to the richness of philosophy
- continuously strive toward an environment of greater inclusion and respect through critical self-examination, paying due attention not only to overt forms of prejudice or exclusion but also to its subtler manifestations.
- sponsor special diversity-related events and activities throughout the year
- coordinate with the ongoing efforts and programs of Portland State’s Division of Global Diversity and Inclusion to foster a safe and supportive culture for diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is reflected in the following list of resources for all members of our community. To learn more about the Portland State University’s policies and initiatives, please visit the Global Diversity and Inclusion website.
- PSU’s Equal Opportunity Mission
- PSU’s Equity and Compliance page
- American Philosophical Association DEI Resources
- Diversity Reading List
- Undergraduate Diversity Institutes in Philosophy
- PSU’s SHAC Anti-Racism Resources
- PSU’s DRC Anti-Racism Resources