Undergraduate Advising

The Environmental Science and Management department offers two undergraduate degrees. The Environmental Science degree focuses on natural sciences and research. The Environmental Studies degree is offered jointly with Geography and focuses on environmental problems and policy.  ESM also offers a Minor in Sustainability and a Minor in Environmental Science.


Who should meet with an advisor?

All Environmental Science and Environmental Studies students are strongly encouraged to meet with an ESM advisor at least once a year to create a plan of study, discuss internship possibilities, or if you plan to switch tracks.  It is also recommended that you meet with an advisor later in your junior year or early in your senior year to review your transcripts prior to applying to graduate.

At this time, all freshman are required to see an advisor at least once during their freshman year before they will be permitted to register as sophomores.


Who are the advisors for the department?

Currently Dr. Joe Maser and Stephanie Hamington in the Smith Advising Center are serving as advisors for the department.

How do I schedule an appointment with an advisor?

Typically it is necessary to schedule an appointment for advising.  Walk-ins can occasionally be accommodated for quick questions or signatures.

If you are a current Junior or Senior and have seen Dr. Maser previously, or an incoming Senior, please contact the department at (503) 725-4982 or stop by the office (Science Research & Teaching Center RM 218) to schedule an appointment.

If you are a current student at the Freshman or Sophomore level, or an incoming ESM student at the Freshman, Sophomore, or Junior level, please contact Stephanie Hamington at 503-725-3822 or via her BookMe link here: https://stephanie-hamington.youcanbook.me/

If you are a prospective student, we are unable to meet with you until you have been admitted by PSU.  Once you are admitted you will be required to attend an orientation, during which time you will meet with an advisor from the department to help you plan out your first quarter classes. Please contact the Advising and Career Services or the College of Liberal Arts & Science Advising for more assistance.


What should I bring to my advising appointment?

Students should bring a copy of their DARS report.  The report can be downloaded from myPSU or Banweb.

How to run a DARS report for Environmental Science/Studies from myPSU:

1) Login, click on the Student tab, and select Submit an Audit (under Quick Links). 

2) In the Select College drop down menu, select Liberal Arts & Sciences.

3) Under Select Audit Type, select Bachelor of Science (most common) or Bachelor of Arts. Under Selected Major/Minor/Certificate, select whichever major/minor you are interested in pursuing.  Note that if you want an Environmental Studies degree, YOU MUST SELECT ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES (2006) or else the report will be incorrect.

4) Finally, select the Catalog Year/Term you want (typically, this is the current term).


I am a prospective student and would like to know what classes that I have taken will transfer to PSU.

Once you are admitted to PSU, the University will run a Course Transfer Evaluation from your transcripts that will be mailed to you upon admission.  You can also access this report online.  This will tell you what classes from your current school will be applied to your degree requirements at PSU.  ESM is unable to respond to queries from potential applicants, however there is an online tool that may be useful for applicants who want to know the course equivalencies for their current school and PSU.

In addition, applicants may wish to review the Environmental Science Degree Checklist and/or the Environmental Studies Degree Checklist to see what classes are required by the PSU Environmental Science and Management department that are also offered by your current school. These checklists are used in our advising sessions with students and are excellent for providing a clear list of required courses. 

Note that you must always take a course at the same level or higher if you want it to count towards your degree.  For example, if you wish to pursue an environmental science degree, you must take Biology at the 200 level or higher at your current institution. Courses with no PSU equivalent will appear on the Transfer Evaluation as either a lower-division (LD) course or as an upper-division (UD) course.

If you are transferring from Portland Community College, please see the PCC-specific transfer guide in order to look at the course equivalencies. 

How do I decide which classes to take?

Below are the "Checklists" used by ESM advisors to assist students with planning their courses.  Each checklist shows the courses/credits required to receive your degree.

Environmental Science Degree Checklists: 

Environmental Science Degree Checklist (For students admitted prior to Fall 2015)

Environmental Science Degree Checklist (For students admitted Fall 2015 and after)

Environmental Studies Degree Checklist: 

Environmental Studies Degree Checklist (For students admitted prior to Fall 2015)

Environmental Studies Degree Checklist (For Students admitted Fall 2015 and after)

Environmental Studies Degree Checklist (For Students admitted Fall 2018 and after) NEW!


Degree Maps (with learning outcomes, advising and career information), please click here. 

For a complete listing of ESM course offerings and advising comments, please click here.

Course Planning Guide (This is a very useful guide that shows which courses are offered when by each department for the academic year.)

Math and Statistics Placement Test (Note: to enroll in any of the following courses, you must successfully complete (C- or above) the prerequisite course within the last year, OR place at the appropriate level on the Mathematics and Statistics Placement test within the last year: MTH 251, MTH 111, MTH 095, MTH 211, MTH 261, MTH 112, MTH 105, STATS 243, STAT 105)

Learner Web for Chemistry (recommended to determine your readiness for Chemistry 221)


Can classes double for university studies and major requirements?

No, classes that are taken for University Studies cannot fulfill major requirements, so make sure that you do not register for any classes that are listed "ESM" however, classes that are taken for University Studies requirements CAN be used to also fulfill minor requirements.


What can I do with a degree in Environmental Science or Studies?

ESM offers periodic information sessions for students about career options for majors, internships, and how to apply to grad school.  Announcements for the sessions are posted on the ESM Homepage and via the ESM undergraduate listserve.

In addition to talking with an advisor about career opportunities, please visit ESM's Careers and Internships page or  PSU Advising and Career Services.