Forest Ecology and Management Certificate

*The department is currently not accepting applications to this certificate.*

Forest management requires a consideration of the ecological, social, and policy context of Oregon’s forests, including urban forests. This certificate is designed to provide the academic background required for understanding and managing forests beyond traditional industrial forestry needs. Students who complete the certificate will be prepared to take active roles in and contribute to management of Oregon’s forests.
This is a rigorous certificate that will require eight 400-level courses.  The courses are split between forest ecology, watershed functioning, management, and policy areas. Although any student could earn the certificate, they will have to have had many pre-requisites (or equivalent preparation) in ESM or Geography.

Certificate Requirements

Electives - choose 4 from the following:

Bi 247 Plant Ecology 4
Bi 476 Population Ecology 5
ESM 427 Watershed Biochemistry 4
ESM 435 Natural Resource Policy & Management 4
ESM 445 Old-Growth Forest Ecology 4
ESM 465 Investigating Ecological and Social Issues in Urban Parks and Natural Areas 4
Geog 413 Biogeography of Pacific Northwest 4
Geog 415 Soils and Land Use 4
Geog 448 The Urban Forest 4
  Total Credit Hours Needed: 16

Core Courses - must take all of the following:

ESM 407

Forest Ecology and Management Seminar

*ESM/GEOG/G 407: School of the Environment Speaker Series will fulfill this requirement*

ESM 418/Geog 418 Landscape Ecology 4
ESM 425 Watershed Hydrology 4
ESM 444 Forest Ecology 4
  Total Credit Hours: 13

Students must take required courses for a differentiated grade and earn a C-or better for it to count toward the certificate (except that a P is acceptable for the ESM 407 only).

Total credit hours to receive certificate: 29

More Resources

Forest Ecology and Management Certificate Info Sheet

Degree Maps (with learning outcomes, advising and career information) (COMING SOON) 

Course Planning Guide

For more information, please contact Dr. Jeffrey Gerwing.

All students who complete certificate requirements and apply to graduate will receive a paper certificate.