Education Abroad for Biology Majors
Education Abroad for
Short-Term Study Abroad in Australia, Summer 2022
Biology and Conservation in Australia and the Great Barrier Reef
Spend three weeks in five cities in Australia, learning about one of the most biologically diverse and beautiful areas on earth! Earn 6 credits of upper-division biology credit.
Globalize Your Education
Biology majors are highly encouraged to study abroad. Participating in study abroad is an ideal way to add a global perspective to your Biology major through first-hand experience living and studying in another country and culture. Studying abroad can also help you to understand the discipline of Biology more deeply.
Review the resources here to first explore how an international experience could fit into your degree plan. Then connect with Leah Tour, (firstname.lastname@example.org) the Biology Program Manager and an Education Abroad advisor early on to ensure that you're choosing the best program to fit your goals.
Why Study Abroad?
When you step out of a familiar environment and engage with another society, where cultural, political, and academic perspectives differ from the U.S., it can greatly enhance your perspective by placing domestic issues and experiences within an international context. It helps participants negotiate differences, listen to and learn from new viewpoints, and adapt to unfamiliar situations. The changed perspective students gain from studying abroad helps make them better informed global citizens, and they are often more competitive for employment, fellowships, and graduate school.
You can Afford to Study Abroad!
Receiving FAFSA? All subsidized & unsubsidized Stafford Loans will automatically work on your study abroad program!
Veteran? Use your Veterans Benefits to help cover the cost of your program fee!
Pell Grant Recipient? Not only can you use your Pell Grant, but you are also eligible for the Gilman Scholarship, worth up to $5,000!
Need Scholarships? The PSU Ed Abroad office offers scholarship workshops every term and has a multitude of resources online for students on a budget. Come meet with us so we can talk about awards ranging from $500 - $10,000.
Education Abroad Credit Limit Toward Biology Major
Students earning a BA/BS in Biology should plan on taking most of their required core courses at PSU:
- Area A: Cellular/Molecular
- Area B: Systems/Organisms
- Area C: Ecology/Evolution
What can biology majors take abroad?
- At least two courses at the 300 or 400 level with a major laboratory or field component
- Many of the necessary credits (12 credits) needed in the BI 412 - BI 499 category
- Courses needed to satisfy the 44 upper division biology credit requirements
- Required science electives (12 credits or more) can be applied towards their Biology major. These courses must be taken at the 200-level or higher and can be from the following fields: Chemistry, Computer Science, Environmental Science, Geology, or Physics.
Courses Must Be Taken For A Grade
Education Abroad courses used for the Biology major must be taken for a grade (A-F) unless that option is not available.
What Programs Work Well for Biology Majors?
The programs listed below not only offer a wide variety of biology courses but also may offer courses to fulfill general education requirements, minor, certificate or biology elective credit. Remember biology students must take a minimum of biology credits and non-biology credits. Study abroad is a great way to earn these credits.
- CIEE Arts and Sciences Program in Cape Town, South Africa
- CIEE Arts and Sciences Program in Gaborone, Botswana
- SIT Tanzania: Wildlife Conservation & Political Ecology
- USAC Ghana: African Studies in Accra
- IE3 Global South Korea: Yonsei University in Seoul
- PSU Exchange Japan: HUSTEP Program in Sapporo
- PSU Exchange South Korea: Seoul, Hanyang University (Summer)
- DIS - Study Abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark
- IE3 Global Internships
- USAC England, University of Bristol
- USAC Netherlands: Maastricht University
- USAC Sweden: Vaxjo/Kalmar - Undergraduate and Graduate Courses
- CIEE Costa Rica: Tropical Ecology and Conversation, Monteverde (fall, winter-spring)
- CIEE Costa Rica: Tropical Ecology and Conversation, Monteverde (summer)
- CIEE Liberal Arts: Valparaiso, Chile
- IE3 Global Ecuador: Galapagos Islands, GAIAS
- IE3 Global Mexico: Puebla, Universidad de las Americas
- USAC Costa Rica: San Ramon - Life Sciences, Spanish Language, and Culture
- PSU Direct Enroll Turkey: Bogazici University in Istanbul
- PSU Exchange Egypt: Cairo, American University in Cairo (AUC)
- Rothberg International School - Summer Program
- IFSA New Zealand: University of Otago in Dunedin
- PSU Faculty-Led Australia: Far Cairns, Daintree, Yungaburra - Biology and Conservation in Australia
Don't see a program that works for you? Click here for the complete list of programs.
Ready to take the Next Step?
Attend an Ed Abroad 101 session to learn more about studying abroad at PSU. These are 30 minute sessions offered when classes are in session. They cover the application process and direct you to next steps.