Portland State University is committed to making campus life accessible for students with disabilities who want to live on campus.
How to Request Disability-related Accommodations in P.S.U. Campus Housing
- Sign up with P.S.U. Campus Housing
- Register with the Disability Resource Center
- Fill out an Application for Accommodation in DRC Online
- Schedule an initial appointment to meet with a DRC Access Counselor & Consultant (AC&C) to discuss your accommodation request.
- Provide any additional information requested by your AC&C.
Deadlines for Requesting Accommodations in P.S.U. Housing
We recommend that you complete these steps before the deadlines posted below. Completing the steps after the deadlines may result in accommodations no longer being reasonable.
- New students coming in Fall Term: Deadline is May 1.
- Returning students currently living in P.S.U. Campus Housing: Deadline for next Fall is February 28th.
- New students coming in Winter, Spring, or Summer Term: Deadline is 60 days prior to the start of the term you plan to be on campus.
P.S.U.'s Assistance Animal Policy explains the differences between support animals and service animals.
Requests for a support animal (SA) in P.S.U. Housing for Fall Term need to be completed before August 31st. Requests that are made and/or completed after August 31st may result in a waiting period of up to one month before the SA can be brought into your dorm room.
Please go to our Assistance Animal in Housing page for detailed information, including waiting periods and tips for communicating with your roommate.
To have the best opportunity to receive the accommodation you are requesting for P.S.U. Campus Housing, you will need to meet the following deadlines:
- Freshmen and transfer students who need an accessible room or building for Fall Term need to sign up with P.S.U. Campus Housing and register with the Disability Resource Center prior to May 1st in order to have the best chance of getting the type of room you need.
- Students who want to move into P.S.U. Campus Housing in Winter, Spring, or Summer Terms should sign up with P.S.U. Campus Housing and register with the DRC at least 60 days in advance.
Examples of accessibility features in P.S.U. Campus Housing:
- Buildings with elevators
- Roll-in showers
- Wheelchair accessible units
- Grab bars
- Door knockers, bed shakers, and strobing alarms
- And more...
No Roommate (Single Room)
P.S.U. Campus Housing has a small number of single rooms and many students request a single room. If you need this accommodation, you need to sign up with P.S.U. Campus Housing and register with the DRC as soon as possible.
- Freshmen who are requesting "no roommate" as an accommodation for the first time need to sign up with Housing and register with the DRC before May 1st.
- Students who currently live in P.S.U. Campus Housing and are already approved for "no roommate" as an accommodation need to renew their Housing contact for Fall by February 28th each year.
- Transfer students who are requesting "no roommate" as an accommodation for the first time need to sign up with Housing and register with the DRC before May 1st for Fall Term, or at least 60 days in advance for Winter, Spring, or Summer Terms.
- Students who currently live with a roommate in P.S.U. Campus Housing and want to request "no roommate" as an accommodation for the current academic year need to be aware that they will be placed on a wait list for a room to become available. This may take two or more terms.
If you want to continue to live in P.S.U. Campus Housing the following academic year, you need to renew your P.S.U. Housing contract for Fall by February 28th each year.
Students who have specific dietary needs can fill out the PSU-UHRL First Year Experience Dining Petition Form for review by the Director of Housing and Residence Life.
If you are petitioning for medical or disability-related reasons, note that PSUEats can accommodate vegan, vegetarian, no soy, no peanuts, no tree nuts, no milk, no egg, no fish, no shellfish, and no wheat.
- If you believe you have a medical condition or disability which creates a "substantial limitation to one or more major life activities" involving your meal plan, make an appointment with the Disability Resource Center to have your situation evaluated. Contact the Disability Resource Center (DRC) at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-725-4150 to schedule an appointment.
- If you require an accommodation that that limits or allows elimination of the meal plan requirement, the DRC will inform Housing and Residence Life and they will cancel your meal plan.
General Information Regarding Personal Care Attendants
Students may request that their personal care attendant have access to, or live in, their on-campus residence. See our Guidance Regarding Personal Care Attendants (PCA) for more information.
If you need an accommodation that is not listed here, please contact the Disability Resource Center. Keep in mind that making arrangements early is to your advantage in ensuring that we can assist you and answer any questions in a timely manner.
- Documentation does not support a substantial limitation of a major life activity.
- The disability-related need does not require an alteration to the living environment.
- A student requests a type of room that is not available.
- Your request was not made prior to the applicable deadline.
- There is a more reasonable accommodation available.
- Per the Assistance Animal policy, which references "support animal" (singular), not "support animals" (plural), students may request one SA in P.S.U. Campus Housing. Requests for multiple SAs will be considered, but approval of multiple SAs may require additional information and/or documentation.