What Can I do With a Master of Public Administration: Health Administration?
Quick Links for this page:
- Advising & Career Services' Resources
- Vocational Biographies
- Professional Associations
- Internet Sites with Career-Related Information for Master of Public Administration: Health Administration Degrees
- Internet Sites with Job Search Information for Master of Public Administration: Health Administration Degrees
- Places of Employment
Advising & Career Services has a variety of resources to help students explore potential career fields. These resources include information about typical responsibilities, qualifications, career paths, job outlook, salary, and related careers.
Vocational Biographies describes the career success stories of 1001 real people. Search by career title, keyword, topic, and career cluster. Username: portland su and pass code: 3w9n
- Assistant Hospital Administrator
- Surgical Center Administrator
- Retirement Complex Administrator
- American Academy of Medical Administrators (AAMA)
- American Association of Health Care Consultants (AAHC)
- American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE)
- American College of Health Care Administrators (ACHCA)
- American Public Health Association (APHA)
- American Society for Public Administration (ASPA)
- National Association of Health Services Executives (NAHSE)
- Health Services Managers — From the Occupational Outlook Handbook.
- Your Career as a Healthcare Executive — Describes career opportunities and how to prepare. From the American College of Healthcare Executives.
- Careers in Health Services Administration — Lists job titles of bachelor's level graduates in Health Services Administration from the University of California, Chico.
- Health Administration and Nursing Home Administrator — From Lifetime of Opportunity: Careers in Health Manual — a Health Careers Resource Manual published by the Southern Area Health Education Center (SoAHEC)/Border Health Education Training Center (BHETC).
- Health Care Administration — Briefly describes career outlook for health care administration. From the graduate program in Health Care Administration (Houston Center) at Texas Women's University, Denton, Texas.
- Health Care Administrator — From Florida Health Careers, authored by The University of Florida Area Health Education Centers Program in collaboration with the Area Health Education Centers Programs of Nova Southeastern University, The University of South Florida and the University of Miami.
- Masters of Public Administration: Health Administration: What Can I Do With This Major? — Outlines common career areas, identifies typical employers, and suggests general strategies to enhance employability. From Career Services at the University of Tennessee.
- Directory of Fellowships in Health Services Management — Lists postgraduate fellowships by state. From the American College of Healthcare Executives.
- Postgraduate Fellowship and Minority Internship — From the American College of Healthcare Executives.
- Monster.com — Search database by location, category, and keyword. Suggested keywords: health care administration.
- FlipDog.com — Search database by location, job category (health care), and job function (administration).
Students who earn a master's degree in public administration with an emphasis in health administration develop skills that are valued by employers. These skills include: research, analysis, writing, oral presentation, critical thinking, synthesis, and problem solving. Students and alumni may find employment in city, state, and federal government; nonprofits; social services; hospitals; medical group practices; management services organizations (MSOs); health maintenance organizations (HMOs); nursing home/extended care/assisted living facilities; insurance companies; educational institutions; and consulting firms depending on their skills and experience. Career-related experience may be a prerequisite to finding employment. The following is a brief list of potential employers in the Portland metropolitan area:
- Kaiser Permanente IT
- Legacy Health System — Employment, Open Job Positions, Legacy Health System
- Multnomah County Health Department — Job Announcements for Multnomah County
- Oregon Health Sciences University — Human Resources Department
- Providence Health System — Employment Opportunities
- Government Health Care Agencies — From the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.
Division of Public Administration— Portland State University