Non-Credit: BYU - FLATS Option
A Pass score from BYU's Foreign Language Achievement Testing Services in the languages below will fulfill PSU’s B.A., M.A., and Admissions second language requirements.
This is a non-credit option:
- These tests are proctored by Testing Services in the Center for Student Health and Counseling (SHAC). The fee is $75 ($50 to BYU-FLATS, $25 to SHAC Testing).
- All tests are pass/fail, multiple-choice and include a listening comprehension section. There is a two-and-a-half hour time limit.
- There is a mandatory 6-month waiting period for retaking a failed test.
- All students must contact the PSU World Languages and Literatures office for all tests in the following languages: Arabic, American Sign Language, Chinese, Danish, French, German, Ancient Greek, Modern Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Kurdish, Latin, Norwegian, Persian, Portuguese (Brazilian/Continental), Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Turkish and Vietnamese.
To register for BYU-FLATS to meet a PSU requirement:
1. Confirm that your language is on the list above.
2. Order the test online at http://flats.byu.edu/ .
Choose: Tests By Correspondence / For Students / Register for a Test.
Fill in the web form with your personal data. Use the following PROCTOR and RESULTS information.
||SHAC, Testing Services|
||Portland State University|
|Address:||527 SW Hall Street, Suite 310|
|City, State Zip code:||Portland, OR 97207-0751|
|RESULTS SENT TO:|
||World Languages and Literatures|
|University:||Portland State University|
||P.O. Box 751|
|City, State Zip code:
||Portland, OR 97207-0751|
3. Student is required to call SHAC, Testing Services to check on the arrival of the test two weeks from the date of ordering and make an appointment to take the test.
4. After taking the test, allow two weeks for the results to be received and processed in the World Languages and Literatures office. A Pass score will result in a waiver of the second language requirement for the BA.
5. If you have any questions about exam content, please consult the BYU FLATS website (http://flats.byu.edu/).
6. For questions about the process, please contact: the Department of World Languages and Literatures at: 503-725-3522 / email@example.com.
SHAC Testing Center
University Center Building, 527 Hall Street, Suite 310
Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.