Political Science (M.S.) Graduate Program
Application for the MS in Political Science is now open! Apply here!
2021 Graduate Degree Application Deadlines
|Fall 2021 Admission||Application Deadline||Notification of Decision|
|Priority Consideration||February 1, 2021||March 30, 2021|
|Final Consideration||April 1, 2021||May 30, 2021|
What you'll need to apply...
- Copies of transcripts from each college or university attended (other than Portland State)
- Proof of English Language Proficiency if applicant does not speak English as a native language and has not received a graduate or undergraduate degree in an English-speaking territory.
- Non-refundable $65 application fee, if not eligible for a waiver
- A 500-word statement of intent. The statement should address the following: (1) Professional goals; (2) Planned area of study; (3) Desired employment sector; (4) How the degree furthers achievement of your professional goals
- Two recommendation letters from individuals familiar with the applicant's academic and/or professional capabilities. Preferably, the letters should be from former instructors or from individuals with knowledge of your professional performance and potential.
- Academic writing sample
- Documentation of adequate financial support for at least one year of study if applicant is an international student
- International applicants who currently reside in the United States with an F-1 or J-1 visa must fill out the SEVIS form
- Proof of Measles vaccine
What we are looking for in an applicant...
The Political Science Graduate Committee considers a mix of criteria for admission, in no particular order of importance: academic achievement, as indicated by the applicant’s transcripts, academic writing sample, and letters of recommendation; the likelihood of timely completion of degree requirements; extracurricular experiences and achievements; educational and career goals, especially as expressed in the applicant’s statement of purpose; and the availability of Political Science faculty who can help the student achieve those goals.
There are certain minimum requirements that applicants must meet:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. The degree need not be complete at the time of application, but there must be evidence that it will be complete before the first term of enrollment.
- The bachelor’s degree does not need to be in Political Science, Students with any disciplinary background are eligible to apply.
Grade Point Average:
- A GPA of at least 3.0 during the junior and senior years, or a GPA of at least 3.1 for a minimum of three 4-credit graduate-level courses.
- The minimum GPA is 3.0, although sometimes exceptions are made, especially if academic performance has improved or if there are special circumstances. We encourage students to address in their statement of purpose any reasons why the GPA is low (pandemic, family emergency, etc.)
Tips to remember when filling out your application:
- There is a late application deadline for candidates with compelling reasons. Those contemplating a late application should contact Dr. David Kinsella, the Graduate Committee Chair.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all application materials are received by the deadline, including transcripts, test scores, and letters of recommendation. The Department of Political Science does not review application files until they are complete. If an application file is incomplete and the deadline passes, the applicant may request that the file be reactivated and considered for the next admission term. Unless such a request is made, the application will receive no further attention.
Read more about the requirements to earn a Masters in Science in Political Science